Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me find the right Buntu for me! (I Don't want to give up yet)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Help me find the right Buntu for me! (I Don't want to give up yet)

my thought on all this is - you are using wubi which installs inside a virtual file in windows. so if you have problems with windows you will have issues here. additionally wubi is not necesserily as fast as dedicated install. furthermore wubi is only ment to test and as a chance to give users to easilly try out the system withouth any major system changes.

so i suggest you try again and this time with propper side by side dual boot. or only linux if you htink you can handle it.

and one more thing - there is no need to download xubuntu, reformat, reisntall... to see how a different desktop looks/behaves. you could have just searched for xubuntu-desktop in software center and install it. that would install Xubuntu to your computer. note that you might get some services doubled - e.g. network monitor form gnome and network monitor form xfce and such. but you can see hwo it looks like and behaves and oyu can later remove the gnome if you wish by copying a few commands into the terminal (very fast mehtod) or finding packages in package manager and uninstall those one by one.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by charlieigg View Post
    ...What I'm looking for:
    -An OS that is highly customizable
    -An OS that can match Windows 8 in speed and performance on my netbook (I don't really care about boot times, just general performance/smoothness)
    -Something that looks good (as in graphics) and not like if it was brought from the 90's...
    I have installed CrunchBang Linux (Waldorf) on a similar AspireOne netbook to yours (but with only 1GB RAM!) and it really flies along.

CrunchBang is certainly very customizable but as it is based on Debian, rather than Ubuntu, a lot of the advice on Ubuntu Forums is not totally relevant to the OpenBox Window Manager.

Boot times and general performance are excellent, although the limitations of the AspireOne graphics chipset reduce the ability to use "Ubuntu-like" eye-candy.

Although a lot of stuff "just works" with CrunchBang (including multimedia), it can give the appearance of a "techie" distro. I will leave you to decide if this looks too 90's for you but I just view it as a very lean and efficient, first-class, distro.

Beans

i wouldve gone with Xubuntu as a single install on the drive, as its the closest you can get to GNOME w/out its system reqs, though i guess it depends on your desire to DUMP windows.

now this might sound noobish ... but HOW does win8 run faster than ubuntu 12.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kyalami321 View Post
    now this might sound noobish ... but HOW does win8 run faster than ubuntu 12.
    Reasons could be one of two:

1. Microsoft's product does not use as much processing power as ubuntu does. Past experience says I should doubt this, but windows 8 is a big improvement.
    2. Better driver support for one or more pieces of your hardware. If ubuntu cannot take advantage of, say, your graphics card, then performance will be reduced.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12