Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Anything Like Arch but With Less Reliance on AUR?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Anything Like Arch but With Less Reliance on AUR?

I was going to ask you how does any of this help the OP.

What's the alternative you've not said? All the main distros quoted rely on community support to some extent or another. The "claim" of finding all packages "under-one-roof" took account of this.

Lest we forget, Linux is Linux. And if you strip a package to its nuts and bolts you can get it to run on any distro. That's the essence of Linux. Question is, how far deep are you inclined to go to strip an app to its bare bones in order to get it to work?

PM me if you still need help getting your app to work on openSUSE.

Beans

Fuduntu is dead sorry to say.

I still don't get peoples issues with AUR.

Fuduntu won't be "dead" until September. Until then it is still supported, just like any non-rolling release distro.
    [ Fuduntu.org ] - [ Fuduntu Forum ] - [ Fuduntu Blog ] - [ Fuduntu Wiki ]

For a classic desktop with the latest apps, get Fuduntu!

Beans

Sorry, that's just the impression I got. For all practical purposes it's dead by your own announcements.

Do you guys have any future projects in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Sorry, that's just the impression I got. For all practical purposes it's dead by your own announcements.

Do you guys have any future projects in mind?
    We were pretty specific when we said September 30th. Ubuntu's releases (non LTS) go into maintenance mode on release day and are supported for 9 months, does that make them dead when they are released? Nope. Same concept, except when we end support for 2013.2 we are going to end the project at the same time.

No new development, but maintenance. I wouldn't recommend new users come to us, with only 5 months of support left but existing users should know that they don't have to jump ship today.

I have no future projects on my plate, except living life. The team members that decided to move forward with a new project are meeting tomorrow in #fuduntu to discuss their future distribution.
    [ Fuduntu.org ] - [ Fuduntu Forum ] - [ Fuduntu Blog ] - [ Fuduntu Wiki ]

For a classic desktop with the latest apps, get Fuduntu!

Beans

^the problem with AUR is unsigned packages

^^The help was to point out that there's always a trade-off. The best strategy for bleeding edge is to know what you're doing and be your own package maintainer. I can't blindly trust a company that sits behind a distro (Novell for openSUSE or Canonical for Ubuntu) but at least I know what it is, where it is and can sue it or lob a brick through a window at its offices if something bad happens. With jiM_@Nonymuss_hACkeR, I never feel quite safe enough, despite his excellent reputation in the community.

@OP, try openSUSE. I am running it right now. I don't share OS2's opinion that it's "God's Distro" but it is fairly up-to-date and if you feel comfortable relying on third parties, then it might be your thing. However, I was under the impression that you wanted to avoid that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Fuduntu is dead sorry to say.

I still don't get peoples issues with AUR.
    For the most part the packages are buggy and they have to edit to fix, now official packages are another thing (if your using pacman you're alright) but if you're rebuilding from source prepare for a world of errors and bugs

My recommendation is still gentoo, it's VERY easy to install just time consuming... takes me about 30 minutes to go from install to actually booting my system, than... 5 or so hours compiling needed packages.

Arch linux is awesome and does have a ports system and you are optimizing for your hardware (well maybe architecture) but it's a farcry from portage which I think is much easier to work with and takes less time to compile.
    The way the PKGBUILDs or made is kinda sad, it does track dependents but that's it, it's not tracking version # and with ebuilds it does and generally as long as you have version X or newer it will compile no problem but that's not how it's going to work with arch, and 900 ebuilds is way to many to edit and is actually 100% more time consuming than gentoo is. a52dec is a great example, mismatch version of libtool, easy to fix but when the upgrade comes it'll happen again and again as you're always going to have a newer base-devel than what it was compiled for.

Arch linux bar non is the best binary linux distro, but source is not it's cup of tea..

You're asking for a rolling release, the best 2 are Arch and Gentoo.

Also if you do choose gentoo, don't pick Funtoo, for some reason it's disk management wil bork your system fast (you'll run out of space in maybe a day or 2 without installing anything... it is a known bug but it's not existent in upstream gentoo) I do like funtoos addwifi command, but wicd works just the same well.. almost. It loses signal often, addwifi keeps the single. But I usually uninstall and purge wicd once I have KDE installed and NetworkManager.

If you want pretty much a hands on approach to linux and want to absolutely do it yourself, then your going to have to go with Linux from scratch. I've done it a few times, it's not hard it's just very time consuming (just think of doing the gentoo 20X over and over without a break). It takes me about 3-4 hrs just to get my stage3 completed but once that's done I actually CAN turn it into gentoo and run it like normal or install pacman and call it a day as your system by that time is completely optimized for your system.

Read this
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/faq.xml#stage12

Basically it's telling you to bootstrap your system (which is rebuilding your toolchain) and then emerge - system which rebuilds your core packages. This basically insures that your system is 100% optimized for your CPU/architecture.
    There's also source mage, it is linux from scratch, now source mage does nothing to the packages, no fixes, no nothing it just packages it for it's package manager but... I prefer portage, sourcer is written is bash so it's a faster package manager but compiling times are the same and Useflags are awesome. All my LFS boxes use portage, except one which uses pacman which I just use as a dev machine.
    Last edited by Rukiri; April 21st, 2013 at 08:40 AM.

Beans

@Rukiri, you seem to be pushing the source-based angle pretty hard, but I don't think that's particularly relevant. I agree, if you like to recompile stuff from source a lot, Arch is probably not the way to go. But if you want a simple Linux that works without a long and painful install process, and doesn't require surgical levels of maintenance post-install, Gentoo is probably not the best choice either. Let's not go all fanboy here and realize that our favorite distros have their own drawbacks that we have simply learned to deal with.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Fuduntu has those as the default

but i dont think that its what your looking for

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Closed. This was finished 3 weeks ago.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234