Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new single install 12.10 not booting

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

new single install 12.10 not booting

I installed 12.10 on a formatted 1t hard disk.
    intel system
    1024 memory
    system will not boot Changed BIOS to boot from hard disk and back to CD, no go
    Put original CD back to try and boot, re-install is offered.Done re-install,same problem.
    System is loaded,just won't boot.
    Also tried 'try ubuntu' , no go

Any help welcome please

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: new single install 12.10 not booting

okkie' Hi !

Have you tried any of the preset boot options in ubuntu's "try" mode (purple screen,hit any key, escape) ?

hth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No go. The only funny thing I notice at start up is the computer does not do the normal memory test and I was wondering if GRUB might have anything to do with the problem?
    Sutely if you install from a disk it must boot. Is it a system problem?

Beans
    Distro

okkie; Now-a-days things have gotten more complex with booting issues. Many times it is a UEFI or Intel Smart Response Technology - dual boot issue.
    Was Windows installed/still installed ?
    Did you verify the md5sum of the .iso file ?
    The hard disks ever part of a "raid array" ?
    How is the hard disk partitioned // MBR or GPT ? MBR can only have 4 primary partitions per disk.
    Can you boot the install medium to the boot screen and choose the option to verify the installed medium's integrity ?

where there is a will there is a way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I like your last sentence.My grand children are having serious issues understanding what it means.Makes one wonder how modern we can still become.
    I went to a site and read about the booting complexities you are referring to. way beyond me so thanks for your help.I'm just an old UBUNTU fan for years now and would like an up and running trouble free system just for once.

windows was originally installed on the computer.Like all desktops I suppose.I removed the hard disk which was to small And formatted my 1t disk which was previously used as a slave on my other computer which has windows and Ubuntu 12.10 loaded.My wife needs windows and I am afraid to do my Ubuntu stuff as updates have screwed up everything time and again in the past and we need windows to make a living.Not to mention a lifetime's photos and music also gone.
    The .iso file I used is a standard download from the official website and could be wrong.if you can refer me to a guarenteed correct download I will be glad to do that first.
    I don't know if the 1t disk was ever exposed to a 'raid array' and like in the past I left partitioning etc. entirely to the installation disk. All I know for certain is the installation is done.Maybe the wrong one, but the hope is in place!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

here is some more info:
    I inserted the disk and waited till it offered me the try/install menu again,clicked install and then from the next menu selected 'something else' and got the following
    /dev/sda
    /dev/sda 1 ext 4 999397MB 19188 Used
    /dev/sda 5 swap 803 MB nil used
    At the bottom it gives 'device for boot loader installation
    /dev/sda ATA ST31000528 AS [1.0 TB]
    The option is /dev/sda 1 Ubuntu 12.10[12.10]
    If I select that and click install itsays 'no root file system is defined, please correct this from the partitioning menu.......
    I was just thinking whether this could not solve the boot problem?

Beans
    Distro

okkie;

Seems that your install medium is good.
    For a standard installation grub -GRand Unified Bootloader - is installed to "sda" NOT sda1 (sda1 done for a particular purpose not relevant in this instance).
    I find that 85% + of install problems are graphics (driver) related. Let's get you installed. As you want it trouble free for an extended period of time, Let's go with 12.04 as it is Long Term Support - 5 years. We are going to do the "try ubuntu" mode first and see if all your hardware works with 12.04, see what it is going to take in this test environment to get the real install working,

Small steps to make a leap forward:
    Boot the install cd (bios set to CD as 1st boot priority).
    At the purple splash screen (stick figure keyboard emblems at bottom of screen) -> hit any key ->
    Language screen -> escape key to accept the default ->
    Booting options screen -> f6 key (other options) -> arrow down to the preset option(s) space or enter to accept and then the escape key to exit; in your present case I want you to use "nomodeset" only./Additional info -> For other additions the boot options kernel boot line is now available, append any desired boot parameter to the end of the line(only if needed in that the presets are ineffective).

Enter key to continue the boot process to the GUI desk top;

Clear as mud ? Do you boot to the GUI ? If so, I will advise further on installing a graphics driver in this test situation that will be applied in the real install.

just try'n to help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I got as far as and marked 'nomodeset'. The menu then offers try ubuntu,install ubuntu, check disk, test memory and boot from hard disk.
    as I scroll down the boot options line becomes available when I reach 'test memory'. I am not sure if I must then enter /additional infoon te line or something else. please clear this up for me.

Beans
    Distro

okkie;
    The many options available are admittedly confusing. Let's stick to the one in that you are trying to boot up ubuntu to a graphical desktop.
    At that purple screen depressing any key should result in a language screen, depressing the escape key should next see the boot options screen, the options we are presently interested in is obtained through the f6 key. Choosing "nomodeset" at this menu tells ubuntu to boot with out "kernel mode setting" (KMS) using the on-board graphics driver "vesa".//If this works to get you to a GUI, then we can look at loading an appropriate driver. Doing so in the "try Ubuntu" mode tells us what must be done in the real install. In this "try ubuntu" mode nothing in the system its' self is touched, all is done in ram.

In the event that you still experience problems, I will boot up the installCD and verify a step-by-step procedure to boot up with that option.

first things first

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for replying.
    Don't ask me the sequence, but I carefully went through the steps again as best I could and 'eureca' try Ubuntu is booted. on the desktop only examples and install Ubuntu 12.10 icons.
    Your wish from here is my command

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast