Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GNU GRUB on startup, no CD

Beans

Re: GNU GRUB on startup, no CD

Also, I don't think memory is an issue, because my work laptop cannot read the CD created by Roxio either.

What is the next step even if I can get CD/DVD to work? Create a partition and then...? Or should I reinstall Ubuntu and then somehow try to get XP back?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by allegroconcerto View Post
    No I cannot, because as I said before, I only have a Recovery DVD that comes with the laptop, I don't have any options whatsoever that looks like "Repair a Windows XP Installation" as described there.

I am thinking perhaps I can at least try to get Ubuntu back, and then go from there.
    Then why don't you download a full XP SP3 and burn it or Vista or Win7? If you do have an Activation Key for any Windows you can download, install that version and activate it. Try using a different Burner.

Yes you can install Ubuntu. Just don't install it on /dev/sda1 , ie the first partition, if you want to install Windows later. Remember, if you install Windows after Linux you will have to "fix" Grub later.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

Okay thanks.

I finally got a liveCD working, I think its to do with a faulty burner.

I was thinking, can I use Gparted to delete all partitions and reformat my drive to NFTS and try to use Windows Recovery CD to reinstall everything? Would this work?

I had a look at my partition and it looks like the following:

/dev/sda1
    File system: ext2
    Size: 243.00 MiB
    Used: 79.03 MiB
    Flag:boot

/dev/sda2
    File system: extended
    Size 92.73 GiB

/dev/sda5 (with a red exclaimation mark)
    File system: crpyt-luks
    Size 92.73 GiB

Not exactly what to do from here, is there a tutorial somewhere? I think the best situation is to have a dual boot, but it seems the easiest to get Windows XP and then install Ubuntu?

(The only reason I am using Windows is because of Microsoft Office and Endnote etc... because my collaborators use them...)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Delete all partitions with GParted (DON'T create any partitions) and try that "recovery disc".
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

Thanks to all of you who replied. I have solved the problem now.

This is just provided for the benefit of others who may have the same problem.

My problem originally was I could not boot into an operating system and instead got stuck at GNU GRUB screen. At the time I don't have a working CD/DVD drive and I cannot boot from USB.

After mucking about various tutorials on GNU GRUB and getting nowhere, I decided to see if I could replace my CD/DVD drive, it was actually not that hard to take it out, the hard part was to find a replacement optical drive that would work. It took me about half of day walking around various computer shops and took me some time to replace the face panel of my replacement CD/DVD drive so they would fit into my laptop.

I then proceeded to create a Live CD with Ubuntu 12.04 LT, after some false starts, I finally got a working CD. Booting from Live CD with Ubuntu I then selected Try Ubuntu.

I then went to Dash and type GParted to start the program, I deleted all the partitions there and rebooted with my Windows Recovery CD. This time, it worked.

I was unable to get back to Windows XP however after the first installation, I kept on getting back to the first boot screen. So I went back to booting with Ubuntu LiveCD and I noticed Windows XP was installed on /dev/sda1. So I thought, well, maybe I would just install Ubuntu 12.04, at least I would have a working operating system.

After this installation, I rebooted without Live CD and I decided to try Windows XP to see if it would work... As if by some magic, this time I could get into Windows without any issues.

So I ended up with both XP and Ubuntu on my system now. And for now, I am happy.

This wasn't an easy journey for me though, but I did make it through eventually...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123