Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GNU GRUB on startup, no CD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: GNU GRUB on startup, no CD

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Odds View Post
    Please stop perpetuating this long worn out myth. Modern CD burners will actually produce a worst result by doing this.
    I have a relatively new CD/DVD burner (2010-11) and at times it does create problems if I burn, especially, OS and other Software at the burner's optimal speed, in spite of enabling 'verification'. I have also seen this happening on "Newer" Burners. "Bad Burn" at optimal speed is a possibility even with the best of Burners out there. Its not yet, a myth; at least NOT in my personal experience. Also until now I haven't seen any adverse effects by burning at slowest possible speeds.
    Burning at the 'slowest possible speed' is the pre-caution I take when burning an OS.

However, I haven't faced any issues with Data burning at Max. speeds.

Thanks for the Links.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I think years ago I had similar experiences as fantab. I made a lot of coasters. But now with flash drives, for me the entire issue is moot. I converted to flash drive installs several years ago. But now with multiple hard drives just install from one hard drive to another. Quicker, easier and more reliable.

With the Ubuntu install now larger and flash drives dropping in prices, flash drive should be first choice to use to install. Only very old systems that probably should have Lubuntu may not boot from a flash drive anyway.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Lightbulb Re: GNU GRUB on startup, no CD

Quote Originally Posted by fantab View Post
    I have a relatively new CD/DVD burner (2010-11) and at times it does create problems if I burn, especially, OS and other Software at the burner's optimal speed, in spite of enabling 'verification'. I have also seen this happening on "Newer" Burners. "Bad Burn" at optimal speed is a possibility even with the best of Burners out there. Its not yet, a myth; at least NOT in my personal experience. Also until now I haven't seen any adverse effects by burning at slowest possible speeds.
    Burning at the 'slowest possible speed' is the pre-caution I take when burning an OS.

However, I haven't faced any issues with Data burning at Max. speeds.

Thanks for the Links.
    You're welcome for the links.

FYI, all CD's & DVD's are just data, no matter what that data really is.

Bottom line is that there is never a good reason to burn at the "lowest possible speed". At "not the highest speed", maybe. If anything, burn at half the highest speed, that will give better results than the "lowest possible speed".
    24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not!

Trusty Tahr 64 bit, AMD Phenom II 955 Quad Core 3.2GHz, GeForce 9600 GT
    16G PC2-6400 RAM, 128 GB SSD, Twin 1TB SATA 7200 RPM RAID0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Thumbs up Re: GNU GRUB on startup, no CD

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    I think years ago I had similar experiences as fantab. I made a lot of coasters. But now with flash drives, for me the entire issue is moot. I converted to flash drive installs several years ago. But now with multiple hard drives just install from one hard drive to another. Quicker, easier and more reliable.

With the Ubuntu install now larger and flash drives dropping in prices, flash drive should be first choice to use to install. Only very old systems that probably should have Lubuntu may not boot from a flash drive anyway.
    I agree; I much prefer to boot from USB whenever possible.
    24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not!

Trusty Tahr 64 bit, AMD Phenom II 955 Quad Core 3.2GHz, GeForce 9600 GT
    16G PC2-6400 RAM, 128 GB SSD, Twin 1TB SATA 7200 RPM RAID0

Beans

At the moment I just want to install Windows XP, but I said before I only got a recovery disc that comes with the laptop, so I don't think I can create and format partitions at all?

I think once I got Windows, it is relatively easy to get Ubuntu, I might give this a go again, but so far, it has been nothing but nightmares for me....

Beans

Actually, I created the boot CD using Roxio, downloaded ubuntu-12.04.2-desktop-i386.iso and burn this as image. The CD however, was excruciatingly slow. What is going on here?

I managed to get as far as Loading bootlogo... should I just wait or try to create from DVD? That means another trip to the shops... I think Ubuntu is a good training for patience...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The initial boot is 'slow' from DVD (compared to USB). I suggest you wait until the DVD boots. If you select 'Try Ubuntu' you will have to wait another few minutes. Sometimes it does take the entire installation process a good hour to finish, but once the installation is finished Ubuntu will be as fast as it should be.

Stop wasting DVDs if you have access to USB flash/pen drive. If you have read the posts by oldfred and Slim Odds you will understand why. I have stopped using DVD/CDs in favor of USB Drives some time back.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

I cannot boot at all from USB, that was why I had to get a replacement CD/DVD drive. When I say its slow, it is slow in the sense there is almost no progress whatsoever, it takes forever to display the contents in the CD from the other laptop which I used to create the boot CD/DVD. In fact, the laptop just freezes whenever I asked my other laptop to display the content.

The process simply stopped at loading boot logo, there was no progress at all after 30 minutes, I am going to ask my friend to see if he could create a working DVD as I don't know if this to do with Roxio software (which is the only software available as I do not have administrator right on this laptop and there was no option of choosing write speed).

There seems to be a lot of problems with Ubuntu, so what is the best way to remove this completely and get Windows XP back?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Are you trying full Ubuntu on a very old system. Ubuntu now is a full system that requires fairly new systems or at least more memory. If an older system Lubuntu often is a better choice.
    But my systems are 6 years old, boot from flash and run Ubuntu with fallback just fine.

You should be able from XP also erase the entire drive, even though it cannot really see the Linux partitions.
    XP CD fixboot
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4891476_rein...ootloader.html
    Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console for advanced users list of commands
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058/
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    You should be able from XP also erase the entire drive, even though it cannot really see the Linux partitions.
    No I cannot, because as I said before, I only have a Recovery DVD that comes with the laptop, I don't have any options whatsoever that looks like "Repair a Windows XP Installation" as described there.

I am thinking perhaps I can at least try to get Ubuntu back, and then go from there.

Last edited by allegroconcerto; April 2nd, 2013 at 05:31 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast