Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Update Manager Stuck

Beans

Re: Update Manager Stuck

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I run Update Manager on full screen to see the new way information is displayed. I hit an problem just now. The screen blinked out of existence but downloading and installing continued. I tried running a new instance of Update Manager but it could not get control. I guess the first instance of Update Manager was still working behind the scenes. After a while I was able to run an update through the terminal and my system is up to date.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the problem?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21954636

Regards
    Don't think so. I have the problem you describe for a few weeks now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Sometimes it could help to kill the Update Manager and do a clean up via sudo apt-get clean in a terminal. If something goes wrong or do not work you get a detailed information what went wrong or do not work and you get a hint what broke - for my taste all this GUI tools are hiding too much of this important information (it's fine for user to keep their system up to date but could be a nightmare for advanced user). I have to admit that I'm not using all this GUI tools and do all updates via CLI tools and I wrote a nice shell script which backup the system package database before I update anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

I had a similar problem and I logged out and shut down. Upon restart I ran and login ran the following commands with success. The package that failed to configure was Gnome Sudoku.
    Code:
     sudo dpkg --configure -a
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12