Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downloading .exe files

Beans

Angry Downloading .exe files

I personally can't believe the way Ubuntu uses downloading. I try to go to the app website on my Windows Laptop. The only internet connection I have access to! And Ubuntu can't run on this laptop because of it's specs. Yet Ubuntu needs me to put in a code to download something. I got Ubuntu for school because LibraOffice can't run on my computer either. Get with the program Ubuntu! Most other operating systems use main EXECUTABLES that you can download from the internet on one computer and then install on another one. Example: Windows Installer Package, .EXE. Take into mind of the poor people who are forced to use a friends internet that lives a block down the street! "Humanity For All". I'm human aint I? I have Windows Vista as a dual boot on my other computer that still can't run LibraOffice for some reason. I think you should change things a little bit. At least for people like me. A computer isn't optional for me! I HAVE TO HAVE IT FOR SCHOOL!!!!! I can't get the things I need for graphing documents and spreadsheets. My suggestion is: Make a download site for users currently using MAC/OSX, Windows. I think you would get a lot more people to download Ubuntu if you did this. I WANT THINGS TO CHANGE!!! I'm tired of always being the one with "Half completed downloads" and "Crappy pointless software". PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Outraged!

HI,
    Can you please elaborate your problem? What are you traying to do? Donwnload a ".exe" file? We only can help you if you tell us whats the problem, not your "desperation" about the situation.
    I can tell you that i can donwload in ubuntu any software without problem, so, please be specific and objective when you re-explain the situation.
    Regards
    Miguel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Outraged!

Quote Originally Posted by alexsmithfanning View Post
    ...PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!
    Assuming this isn't a drive by...

This isn't a support section of the forum, so if you need help please follow the posting tips in this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2158945 and post in the relevant area.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Downloading .exe files

And Ubuntu can't run on this laptop because of it's specs.
    There's the problem and it hardly the fault of Ubuntu, is it? On Ubuntu we have the Ubuntu Software Centre that we use to download and install applications. It works very well. But if we want to think of ourselves as clever we can also use commands in a terminal.

Libreoffice is not the responsibility of the Ubuntu developers. You really must try to understand that Linux is not a cheap clone of a Microsoft operating system. We do not have one massive corporation that controls the complete operating system and the default applications that come with the distribution. And this statement does not make sense,

I got Ubuntu for school because LibraOffice can't run on my computer either.
    I guess that you mean that the latest Windows version of Libreoffice does not run on your computer. This is not the fault of Ubuntu, now is it? The Document Foundation develops Libreoffice and it is completely independent from Ubuntu. If we can install and run Ubuntu acceptably on our machines then we will also have an installed and working version of Libreoffice for Libreoffice is one of the default applications that come with the Ubuntu distribution of Linux.

There other things that you are apparently not aware of. It would be illegal for Ubuntu to make available software copyrighted by Apple and Microsoft. Are you prepared to pay for those services that you demand? I did not think so.

May I ask, What app web site are you referring to?

I try to go to the app website on my Windows Laptop.
    Ubuntu has an app web site? Ah, you mean Ubuntu.com and the menu that drops down when we click "more." That has an option called "apps" that links us to the Ubuntu applications directory, which is kind of like an online version of Ubuntu Software Centre. Its purpose must surely be to allow us to install Linux applications that are package for Ubuntu on a Ubuntu installation.

Would you try to download an app from the Apple app store onto a Windows machine? Of course not. So, why do you expect to be able to download a Windows app from a Ubuntu app store.

Regards.

Edit: There is one thing that you can try. Ask your friend with the good internet connection to download an ISO image of ubuntu. I would suggest Xubuntu as that can run on machines with a lower specification. That ISO can be downloaded by Windows and then use a Windows DVD burner application to burn the ISO image to a DVD. Then put the DVD into your machine's DVD drive, set the BIOS to give the DVD drive boot priority over the hard drive and you will soon be running a live version of Xubuntu with Libreoffice. You can then create documents which you can store on the hard disk.

If your machine has USB ports then Ubuntu/Xubuntu can be burnt on to a USB memory stick but it must be done with what is called "persistence." That will provide space in the memory stick to store data, documents and such.

http://xubuntu.org/getxubuntu/
    Last edited by grahammechanical; December 31st, 2013 at 03:34 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Graham,
    Congratulations on your patience, clarity, and logicalness.

Beans

if i understand your situation from your post it is thus. You have no internet where you live so you use a friends.
    You have an old laptop for which you give no specs. Just say Ubuntu wont run on it. Try other versions, lubuntu,kubuntu,xubuntu, puppy or maybe Qimo. or
    stay with windows if it works.

For downloading packages for later installation try getdeb.net

"I'm human aint I" jury is out i do smell the distinct odor of troll but could be mistaken.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans

I WANT THINGS TO CHANGE!!!
    Then change them. Like your hardware your knowledge level of how Linux works.
    Just because you have a laptop doesn't mean you have a capable one for linux. If windows works fine on it then stick with that.

I'm tired of always being the one with "Half completed downloads" and "Crappy pointless software"
    And how is that Linux's fault? You don't have your own Wifi and sounds like a crappy one with your friends.
    And downloading pointless software sounds like ignorance and lack of reading what the apps will do for you?

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!
    Why you don't give specifics about your hardware. You don't give specifics about your wifi situation and what's with the incomplete downloads and what that entails.
    Or specifics of exactly what you are having problems with except a general rant.

I mean you won't even help yourself to format your post with spaces and paragraphs.
    Making it easier for us to read and identify your problems.

Again what is your problem?

Beans

Linux is not a free version of Windows, even my 4 year old son can install his own application on Ubuntu and he has not learned to read yet! You need to provide more information and calm down if anyone is to provide you with help.

Beans

I am sorry about bursting im just very new to Linux Ubuntu and needed a better operating system (windows has way to many viruses, even without internet) And i was raging on linux because of my issues with windows.

My laptop computer specs are: Windows XP Service Pack 2 (2002 edition) with a single core intel processor and 1GB of ram with a 27 GB hard drive.

Really i just need someone to post a link for the lowest spec version of ubuntu. Once again im sorry for the raging and if this is the wrong thread. Im just flustered and it's not Ubuntu's fault.

Beans

Your best bet for that kind of specs is probably lubuntu 13.10, but it reaches eol (end of life) in July 2014.
    http://lubuntu.net/

There is also lxle, which is just lubuntu but with long term support (so it claims)
    http://lxle.net/
    pro is that it has long term support (supposedly) and multimedia works out of the box (codecs etc all preinstalled), con is that it comes bundled with tons of crap that you probably will never use (is it necessary for all those games?) I am not really sure how it pulls off the 'long term support', seems to be just lubuntu with tons of crap preinstalled and a bunch of ppa activated (and what is with using flash on their website?? Not cool.)

However, though not specificially caters for old hardware, xubuntu may also works and xubuntu 12.04 is a LTS (supported til 2017)
    http://xubuntu.org/

As for your original question about the suposed advantage of downloading .exe files randomly on the web. This is one reason why Windows get infected so easily. IMO the packaging system works much better(in Ububtu you can also add ppas which are unofficial repositories if you want something not in the official repo or the latest version,--software tends to be old in the official repo)
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; January 1st, 2014 at 01:06 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast