Thread: Could i get windows bootable flash in GRUB or get it booting in other way?

Beans

Question Could i get windows bootable flash in GRUB or get it booting in other way?

(Sorry for my bad english(im only 15 and im living in Latvia)) Hey! I'm in pretty difficult situation. My ubuntu crashed. My cd rom is not working, so i installed ubuntu from my bros computer and its working now (Swiched HDD). im not installing from bros computer Win_XP because i know that Win_xp will crash. But the problem is that i want win_XP in my laptop amilo pro v2055, but it doesn't recognise bootable usb. I was swiching bios settings, but it doesnt worked too. I've tried many programms (unetbootin, wintoflash, rufus, wintobootic and many others) and it didnt work. Im kinda stuck becase i need windows xp for contest. I've heard that somehow there can boot usb from grub. i've tried that but that didnt worked too! I would be thankful if someone could help me! Thanks before! (I know alot about xp but not about ubuntu)

Lauris
    Last edited by 075; April 19th, 2013 at 11:25 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Could i get windows bootable flash in GRUB or get it booting in other way?

Moved to Other OS since Windows question.

Does system support booting from USB? If not it is just about impossible as then you are supposed to use CD or floppy drive to boot externally.

I only know of plop that will boot Linux from USB actually using CD to start.

Many years ago when Windows first came out on CD, we used to copy the install files into the Windows partition. We would format drive, install DOS to boot, and start install into the same files that Windows install files were in.

You might be able to create a small install partition and copy your Windows installer into that using your brothers computer. Then you may be able to boot the installer on the hard drive and install? Never tried that with XP.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Welcome to the Forums.

Plop should boot any bootable USB.

The following advice will make a bootable XP USB but I don't think that is what you want.

http://tdoui.webs.com/Install%20And%...From%20USB.pdf
    Last edited by C.S.Cameron; March 27th, 2013 at 07:49 PM.

Beans

Thanks! I still do not belive it! I installed Plop in grub and everything works!