Thread: What is the difference between the desktop enviroments?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question What is the difference between the desktop enviroments?

What is the difference between the desktop enviroments? Is there any documentation that explains this? Or mainly what is the difference between Lubuntu and Xubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: What is the difference between the desktop enviroments?

You can see for yourself by creating live CDs or USBs of Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Ubuntu, and Xubuntu. On the other hand, you can compare the software that comes with each flavor by looking at the list of software each flavor provides. That information is here: http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/ubuntu-desktop. Of course, you'll want to replace quantal with "precise" or something older and ubuntu with (k|l|x)ubuntu.
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I appreciate the info, thats partially what I'm asking for. To be more specific I'm looking for the difference between window managers and such as well. I have installed other distro's to have a look and I understand how to do that but I am looking to understand the differences between the variants if that makes sense. I know that ubuntu now ships with Unity, and obviously Kubuntu ships with KDE and I believe Lubuntu ships with openbox, what does Xubuntu use for a window manager? And where does Mate and cinnamon come into play? I checked the link http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/ubuntu-desktop and from what I comprehend from reading it is that it comes with gnome and I thought the newer versions of Ubuntu shipped with unity unless gnome and unity are the same? Also when I try adding L to the following link http://packages.lubuntu.com/quantal/ubuntu-desktop it doesnt return what i'm looking for. I hope this is'nt confusing anyone but I'm sure I'm not the only one with these questions! Reasons I ask is because I seem to have to play around with the different variants to find out which one(s) work best for each of my pc's. I have some pc's that only Lubuntu works good on, other one's gnome or KDE seem to work well on. Others Mint works well on. And for the most part Unity does'nt work well on the majority so I'm trying to find the corelation!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions

Quote Originally Posted by boarder428 View Post
    I seem to have to play around with the different variants to find out which one(s) work best for each of my pc's. I have some pc's that only Lubuntu works good on, other one's gnome or KDE seem to work well on. Others Mint works well on. And for the most part Unity does'nt work well on the majority so I'm trying to find the corelation!
    Keep looking. Try out everything on every machine. That is the only real way to find out what works with what.

Lubuntu = lxde. Xubuntu = xfce. You can install either via the repositories, log out, choose it from the 'Sessions' pop-up (xfce4 is what you install).

Beans
    Hidden!

There is also "metacity", the gnome-classic wm.

Beans

Quite a lot.
    Gnome shell is seemingly aimed at touchscreens and looks like a knock off of the ipad/iphone interface with little to no ties to a traditional desktop interface.
    KDE is aimed at desktops, since my computer is not an iphone or ipad I use this. KDE more or less is very geared to the windows user or begin ner to the linux world.
    Unity is a little of both, though I do say it does a great job of being a basic desktop UI.
    XFCE is a lightwight interface, as is LXDE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Beyond the underlining technical differences between desktop environments, I find the biggest difference is in how much you like one over the other(s).
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful