Thread: nVidia GPU switching on MBPr - campaign

Beans

nVidia GPU switching on MBPr - campaign

I've been trying to get GPU switching to work on my MBPr. I contacted Seth Forshee from Canonical and he replied that the apple-gmux kernel driver doesn't work with the nvidia proprietary kernel module because nVidia doesn't support the apple-gmux module.

Anyway if nVidia changed their code to support it then it should be possible to switch the GPUs with bumblebee etc (run some apps with the nVidia GPU and desktop etc with the Intel).

So, I figured it's time to mount some sort of campaign to get nVidia's attention. I think Linus Torvalds meant this a while back when he bashed nVidia

The first step would be to have some way to contact nVidia, so far I've only found phone numbers. Anyway you can post any thoughts on this and ways to get nVidia's attention in this thread.

Beans

Re: nVidia GPU switching on MBPr - campaign

Yeah, *push*
    I totally agree with you, it would be nice to be able to use the nvidia graphics at least some times.

Just using the intel graphics is okay for me at the moment, but i guess the nvidia card is capable of more than just wasting 7 watts for another monitor output...

But sorry, no further idea how to contact them.

Beans

I'm with you. I remember there is a forum on the nvidia website, maybe this would be worth to try.

@sauferkel: How did you switch to intel? If you did not use OSX please let me know.

Beans

If there's a way to apply pressure, I'm in. If by some chance (albeit unlikely) I have some idea on how to caterwaul this, I'll share it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm in! I would love to have this support in Ubuntu
    Happily running 13.04! "It's only an apt-get away!"

Beans

I created a thread in the nVidia forums: https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...gpu-switching/

Beans

Nice job