Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weird: bad sectors with Windows, no problems with Ubuntu

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Re: Weird: bad sectors with Windows, no problems with Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Monreal View Post
    Linux seems to be able to handle the problems with no apparent problems while Windows breaks down like crazy.
    Linux installation normally takes less space than Windows. Maybe it fits into an area that isn't failing yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_
    Linux installation normally takes less space than Windows. Maybe it fits into an area that isn't failing yet
    There's a total of about 39 GiB on the disk, well into the area that failed before.

Beans

That drive is on it's way out.

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    And - just a friendly advice - don't buy Seagate next time.
    No brand is immune to failure and it's pretty much luck of the draw when you buy any brand of hard drive.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    No brand is immune to failure and it's pretty much luck of the draw when you buy any brand of hard drive.
    It's not luck when they slap 1 year warranty on their products. Seagate was great once but they went rapidly downhill ca. 2007.

Right now WD Black is probably the best you can (still) get at consumer grade. Hitachi is OK... most of the time. I've heard a lot of good things about Samsung drives but I've never had one.
    Last edited by prodigy_; March 27th, 2013 at 09:49 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    It's not luck when they slap 1 year warranty on their products. Seagate was great once but they went rapidly downhill ca. 2007.

Right now WD Black is probably the best you can (still) get at consumer grade. Hitachi is OK... most of the time. I've heard a lot of good things about Samsung drives but I've never had one.
    It's luck of the draw. I've had most failures on Samsung, followed by WD & then Seagate. It could have gone in the reverse as well. There's no more Hitachi, they were purchased by WD. There's no more Samsung, they were purchased by Seagate. All that's left is Seagate, Toshiba & WD. If you know people that do data recovery (the type that deals with hardware failures, logic boards, head stack assemblies, spindle motors etc) they will also tell you it's pot luck. Every now and again a manufacturer will have a bad run with certain models where they screw up but it happens to all of them.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Just to give an update, now at 14,471 POH there still haven't been any additional errors or problems. As I said before, I believe that the last error was from when Windows was still installed. I'm just hoping this isn't a problem other than with the hard drive itself that might cause more problems when I install the SSD.

Beans

Keep an eye on the S.M.A.R.T. info. Usually with bad sectors they increase. There's a limited amount of reallocation sectors on a HDD. Once you reach the limit the HDD is fooked.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12