Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Why must LTS die?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Why must LTS die?

monkeybrain2012
    God forbids if I am running my computer like a bank, that soulless, mirthless and grey institution.
    That institution much like other businesses is expected to make money. It's been my experience, that few businesses want computer instabilities or have any desire to be on the cutting edge. It can be extremely costly and non-productive.

As for personal users, I'm certain that there's a divide between those who prefer stability/consistency and those who enjoy the so-called cutting edge. I'd hate to think that either group would feel any need to choose an alternative. One can always petition their drive, use an separate HDD, etc. to tinker with alpha or beta releases, while still maintaining the stability of an LTS for daily use. As I indicated in my previous post, I do enjoy and wish to continue enjoying a life outside of PC's.

Just my $0.02
    "All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward."
    Ellen Glasgow

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    Thought thats the way its always been
    Ok. By development, I was thinking of pre-release, like the next version's alpha and beta. That's a lot more like a rolling release than the current release is. So I was thinking that you're either stuck with an LTS or a constant alpha. That would be scary. With a lot of rolling releases, they have different branches, so you can have the latest software, but with a little more stability.

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Well, it will be LTS or development (which is supposed to roll into each new version without upgrading) or 6 months releases as always but with 9 months of support instead of 18 months as it has been up to now...
    So basically the only difference will be that they are forcing you to upgrade if you're not sticking with LTS?

I'm probably out of the loop, but the way things used to work is that unless you were using Backports, after a release becomes final, the only software updates were security updates. They didn't just update to new versions of all of your software. That was the whole purpose of upgrading to newer releases. For it to resemble a rolling release, they'd have to change that if they haven't already. But like I said, I'm sure I'm out of the loop.

But now people use PPAs so much that it practically is a rolling release.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

To clarify, the 6 month versions have 9 months of support, so yeah, if you are not using LTS version, and you want to continue getting support, it kind of makes you want to either do a fresh install of the next version when it arrives, or else attempt an upgrade to it...

The development version will continue working exactly as it does now...the only difference is, that right now you have to actually UPGRADE to continue it in to the next development version....otherwise, your development version simply finalizes and you continue getting normal release updates...

The Change is this: You will have the option of continuing into the next development version automatically...the updater will simply point to the new development version and start bringing in updates for that...
    I say "option" because i would imagine they would want you to be able to choose which way you want to go with a development release when the "final" date arrives...

So, i think it is something you will have to "activate" rather then just something they are going to add in to development by "default"...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    Fun little anecdote to add to this conversation:

A month or so ago I was asked to help advise on a project another IT dept in our organization was working on. They've got a 15-year-old in-house VB6+Access monstrosity that serves as a core application for about 3-4 departments; ...
    *snort* I have no sympathy for anybody who does anything that stupid.

Jim

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by DMGrier View Post
    I was on a google+ page the other day and there was a huge feud of people saying that LTS should be done with and die, why would people feel this way. I have always ran LTS, I will occasionally upgrade to the interim release but a lot of problems in terms of packages like emapthy, Virtual Machine, and Steam stop working even if I do fresh installs with the up to date packages I never have good luck. So I pretty much stick with the LTS. I know Canonical has no plans of dropping the LTS which is good because I would have to jump to openSUSE being that is the only distribution I have had good luck with when it comes to the interim releases. I am just curious why I read on the web why so many people are against the LTS?
    Everyone's got an opinion :0

I love LTS. It's all I run and when I install on other people's machines, I always give them LTS. My opinion is more of why have interim releases? So ultimately it's good that the reality is that there is a middle ground: both LTS and interim-releases exist. User can choose which release will best fulfill there needs. Not sure why humans seem to have such a strong desire to impose their preferences on the rest of mankind.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JSeymour View Post
    *snort* I have no sympathy for anybody who does anything that stupid.

Jim
    I don't think anyone *did it*, per se; it's more something that just happened. Someone had an access database, they shared it with someone else, a third person wanted this feature, etc, etc. 15 years of that and it's out of hand and out of support.

Maybe there was some point at which someone should have said, "hey, this is too big for the platform, we should get someone to build a real application"; but there probably wasn't time, budget, or expertise to ever do so.

I suspect these sorts of "organic" applications are rampant in businesses, which is why moving from older platforms becomes so difficult.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by glln0v View Post
    Everyone's got an opinion :0

I love LTS. It's all I run and when I install on other people's machines, I always give them LTS. .
    Me too. But the key word here is "other people's machines" because I don't want to be bothered for upgrading, I also don't enable many ppa's on "other people's machines" except for medibuntu and some multimedia stuffs which need to be kept up to date and software for which the repo version is broken. But on MY MACHINES I don't follow the same philosophy, I am at the moment using 12.04 but with a lot of software from ppas or compiled and running kernel 3.8.5 so it is effectively rolling, except for something like Unity and Compiz it is more up to date than Raring.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; April 7th, 2013 at 10:24 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    I don't think anyone *did it*, per se; it's more something that just happened. Someone had an access database, they shared it with someone else, a third person wanted this feature, etc, etc. 15 years of that and it's out of hand and out of support.

Maybe there was some point at which someone should have said, "hey, this is too big for the platform, we should get someone to build a real application"; but there probably wasn't time, budget, or expertise to ever do so.

I suspect these sorts of "organic" applications are rampant in businesses, which is why moving from older platforms becomes so difficult.
    There are a couple applications like that at the place I work. One of the main reasons we still have a win2K box still.

Then again we finally upgraded from NT4 about two years ago soo....
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    As long as software is supported and maintained it is not outdated.

Newer doesn't necessarily mean better.
    Amen deadflowr........I dont use anything but LTS,Hoping down the road Lubuntu will be able to roll out an LTS or a Rolling Release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ssulaco View Post
    Amen deadflowr........I dont use anything but LTS,Hoping down the road Lubuntu will be able to roll out an LTS or a Rolling Release.
    The optimist in me hopes all the official flavors will have LTS when 14.04 comes.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast