Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Why must LTS die?

Beans

Re: Why must LTS die?

Quote Originally Posted by ManamiVixen View Post
    Because LTS don't make sense in the world of Linux. There are thousands upon thousands of contributors and programmers around the world writting new, and updating software for linux. Meaning there is always a new and improved package for whetever availible for a Linux based computer. So with a LTS, these updates are being held back. Look at 12.04 and 12.10 of Ubuntu, In six months there were HUGE advancements including new GTK, Unity, ALSA drivers, X.Org libraries, and even Wayland picking up. 12.04 is absolutely ancient now. IN SIX MONTHS. Companies like Microsoft and Apple are the onlp companies who really develop their software. So they can afford holding back stuff till the next release as they are the developers and push out more methodically. So that is why LTS is hated. It forces users to use badly outdated software.
    So, enjoy the stability of an LTS and if you really must ruin it, run backports of the next release?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Because LTS don't make sense in the world of Linux.
    Spoken like somebody that doesn't have to support production desktops and servers, and has no idea how much hassle it is to have to re-install entire operating systems, along with all the re-configuration necessary, on what would otherwise be their time off.

Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    If linux on the desktop if ever to be taken seriously in the business world, stability/reliability is paramount.
    Bingo.

I'll bet the majority of businesses would stay on WinXP practically forever if they could.
    Well, as long as practicable, anyway. At least for many. One quick stat I just looked up indicates XP still had 39% of the market share as of Feb. 2013. Win7 has 44%.

They sure aren't going to risk 'upsetting the apple cart' every few months.
    Of course not. Time is money, and operating system upgrades like that are very labour-intensive. (Especially with Linux, which generally does not handle OS upgrades at all well.)

As an Admin who uses one-or-another form of *nix on all his servers and all of his own desktops: This issue is one that stops me dead in my tracks, vis-a-vis campaigning for more wide-spread desktop usage in corporate environments. As a Server & Network Admin. I could never, in good conscience, recommend to a business that they replace an OS that has a 10+ year lifespan (e.g.: WinXP) with one that has, at best, a 3-year lifespan. Never mind a nine month lifespan?!?!

Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Tamlynmac View Post
    Does anyone know if this rolling release concept only applies to Ubuntu or to all Canonical distros?

My primary requirement is stability. I have no desire to constantly negotiate with new and improved anything, just for the sake of change. For all change is not growth - see my signature.

One of the benefits (for me) of using Canonical distros has been the stability of LTSs. Since first installing 7.04 I've learned to test each release prior to install - assuring compatibility and have found generally that LTS releases improve in stability with age. As others have pointed out, upgrades/updates have consistently had issues and since my family uses the same distro as I, stability becomes critical. Assuming, I wish to have a life beyond computers.
    Even if they switch to rolling release, they'll still have LTS releases that you can use for stability. I think you should be able to stick with the LTS in a non-rolling format. I hope so, at least.

The only problem I see is that if someone downloads the rolling release version of Ubuntu toward the end of the LTS cycle, they will have a lot of updates. Hopefully, they'll have regular snapshots for download to prevent that.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Seems like the only ubuntu "rolling release" (though it will not officially be called that) will be ubuntu development...they are supposed to add some means (one developer mentioned something about maybe doing a symlink) so that you will be able to go from one development version to the next without any upgrading...the update manager will simply "point" to the new version when the updates for it begin...
    It is supposed to start with 13.04 development but they are working out the details...hope they get it done in time before 13.04's final release
    Last edited by craig10x; April 3rd, 2013 at 06:42 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Nobody is forcing them, but you are assuming the mass public of the world is far more compentent than they actually are. Most people will look to the media, Canonical, and other software and hardware companies for what to run. Of course they all will be sayin "Use Ubuntu 12.04, it the latest from Canonical!" It's only true as in terms of stable release. But the software will be outdated and the mass user who isn't fully aware of Linux and how it works will likely never get new sofware believing they have already have the current and latest.
    I don't see how software in LTS is outdated, since kernel in upgrading regularity too, same as the apps included, not all software is bleeding edge but in USC u can rarely find newest software version no matter if LTS or not. I don't see logic in believing the current and latest software must be installed either, but everyone have his own opinion. As per me, LTS was a reason to switch. I didn't want hassle of adjusting my system every 6 months...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

forrestcupp
    I hope so, at least.
    I hope so too. Assuming, it even applies to Xubuntu.

The response from craig10x seems to suggest it will only apply to "ubuntu development" versions.
    "All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward."
    Ellen Glasgow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yeah, that's the general impression i got both from the transcripts of the developer's decisions and also Mark Shuttleworth's input to them (and us) about how he thinks it would be best to go...

So, i believe that the only "rolling" will be development...though it will not be called that...they just want to make it easier for those that follow development to go from the current version to the next (without a need to upgrade)...but let's face it, since it is development it really is "rolling" all the time...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by JSeymour View Post

Well, as long as practicable, anyway. At least for many. One quick stat I just looked up indicates XP still had 39% of the market share as of Feb. 2013. Win7 has 44%.

Jim
    I'd be surprised if the XP share isn't higher than that in the business/professional world. I've been to a few banks and several medical offices. They are ALL still on XP, not a Win7 desktop in sight, let alone Win8. We were in one bank manager's office, he had XP and 15-20 I.E. windows open.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

as a total novice to linux. i am a user now for about 5 years. and i for one enjoy the LTS vesions.
    I for one do not care for the latest release. i have heard others who have upgraded to newer versions and they had quite of few bugs.
    i use ubuntu on 1 machine & linux mint on my dell inspiron enjoy both.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast