Thread: How to make web server available over the internet

Beans

How to make web server available over the internet

Ok I am running ubuntu 12.10 server edition 64bit, I have installed the LAMP stack and configured it accordingly. The website works fine over the internal network. But if I try to access it from anywhere outside of the network the browser cannot find it. The server is behind one router (though there are 3 routers including our modem) and I forwarded port 80 to my server, and I know that my ISP is not blocking port 80. The server's ip is static but our public ip is not (though it will be soon). I have experience using ubuntu but I dont know much about servers. Any help would be appreciated and if anymore info is needed I will post it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How to make web server available over the internet

Hi Zero000. Welcome to the forums

It is usually not possible to access a LAN machine, from the LAN itself, using its public Internet IP. Your router would have to support an advance feature called NAT loopback (read about it here), and most consumer routers don't support it.

The easiest way to test remote access is using your cell or tablet wireless service (be sure not to be connected to your own WiFi), or from an Internet café, public library or a friend house.

For more tips on how to access your server from the outside, take a look at post #3 of this thread.

Hope it helps. Let us know how it goes.
    Regards.

Beans

Sorry to resurrect this but I just wanted to say that papibe offered the solution, I didn't know you couldn't access it over LAN. Don't know how to mark as solved :/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Zero000 View Post
    Sorry to resurrect this but I just wanted to say that papibe offered the solution, I didn't know you couldn't access it over LAN. Don't know how to mark as solved :/
    Zero000 what modem do you currently have? I suspect it's a modem delivered by your ISP.

I'll gladly help you if i can. To access your local server from the WAN is not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    #1 It is usually not possible to access a LAN machine, from the LAN itself, using its public Internet IP.
    1. Tor is the easiest way to test your server from a "remote" location. In the correct format and such unless its a phone website.
    Last edited by Drenriza; May 22nd, 2013 at 09:30 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Here's how to mark the thread as solved.

Regards.