Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Epiphany/Web 3.8 Available for Ubuntu Gnome?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Epiphany/Web 3.8 Available for Ubuntu Gnome?

Is Epiphany/Web 3.8 available to those of us who have updated an Ubuntu Gnome daily install to Gnome 3.7.92 from the Gnome3 and Gnome3-staging PPA's?

I know the source is available, but a package is obviously preferable.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Epiphany/Web 3.8 Available for Ubuntu Gnome?

Same here...just upgraded to gnome 3.8 with the gnome3 staging PPA and checked this PPA and the regular gnome3 team PPA and can't find web 3.8

Beans

I'd be keen to see a package for Web 3.8 as well. I seem to remember it also being a bit of a late-comer in the past, though.

Beans
    Distro

Although Firefox is now the default browser, Epiphany/Web 3.8 is a 'need to have' for a Gnome enthusiast as myself and used to be part of the Ubuntu Gnome Remix, like PackageKit used to be part of the Ubuntu Gnome Remix.
    Just because Ubuntu Gnome now uses different default software it doesn't mean that I don't want to use Web and PackageKit with the new Gnome 3.8

So, to the Ubuntu GNOME team: " Please let us have the possibility to choose" , don't 'cripple' the complete Gnome 3.8 experience

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    So, to the Ubuntu GNOME team: " Please let us have the possibility to choose" , don't 'cripple' the complete Gnome 3.8 experience
    Uh, I haven't personally packaged the new WebKit and Epiphany yet because WebKit takes a long time (and a lot of hard drive space) to build and the cost/benefit ratio wasn't worth it to me when there were a lot of other things that needed to be done. I'd love to see the new versions too and now that Debian has packaged them it's easier for Ubuntu to get them too.

I think many people got involved in open source because they saw something that wasn't being done and stepped up to get it done. The Ubuntu GNOME team could use help with packaging, identifying bug fixes, and more.

Beans
    Distro

@jbicha
    "Houston we have a problem"

Gnome 3.8 is not official and only available in the Gnome3 ppa, so therefore, as I understand it, bugs cannot be reported using launchpad but has to be reported directly to the GNOME3 Team, right ?
    Would I have to report on their mailing list ? Because that would involve me applying for membership and as you know, I'm more a pain in the a.. than I'm a developer , only team members can post on the mailing list.
    Another solution could be to report to the teams admins but I don't know how they feel about being spammed with requests and bug reports ?

A little of topic but still.. My GDM bug seems to be present on the Ubuntu Gnome mailing list here by Fran Dieguez
    Is this the way to report a bug regardig Gnome 3.8 ? I thought this mailing list was for the official Ubuntu GNOME ( Gnome 3.6 ) ?

Complete confusion on where to report what and how ? Thats why I choose to use the forum instead but the messages seems to drown in the masses and are easily overlooked

I'm not talented when it comes to packaging but maybe I could learn if guided ? but I can "identifying bug fixes, and more." if you show me where and what to do

Regards
    Stinger

Ps.
    Would it be possible for you, the Ubuntu GNOME team, to create your own forum ?
    It could have Bug and Request sub forums etc.
    I think Ubuntu GNOME could benefit a lot from having a dedicated forum.
    The community is the most important asset of a distribution. It provides feedback, ideas, promotion, support, bug reports, artwork, motivation, it's the living heart of any open-source project. In my opinion you need both clear leadership and good communication with the community.
    Guess who said that ( no, not Mark S ) It's taken from here
    Last edited by Stinger; March 30th, 2013 at 03:59 PM. Reason: The community is the most important asset of a distribution.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    Gnome 3.8 is not official and only available in the Gnome3 ppa, so therefore, as I understand it, bugs cannot be reported using launchpad but has to be reported directly to the GNOME3 Team, right ?
    Don't use the Gnome3 ppa here but it states on the ppa page -
    === Bugs ===
    On Raring (13.04) please use 'ubuntu-bug' to report bugs against packages in this PPA
    Edit: - gave it a try on a test install I'm dumping, accepts bugs on Gnome3 ppa package(s)
    Last edited by mc4man; March 30th, 2013 at 09:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro

@mc4man
    Strange... I didn't see that before, my bad if it has been there all along.
    Thanks for pointing it out Makes bug reporting for Gnome 3.8 much easier.
    But I'm afraid it does not solve the situation regarding Epiphany/Web 3.8 request ( or packagekit for that matter, personally I think all of Gnome 3.8 should be available, but I know we must accept the developers decisions, they have their reasons )

I know Jeremy has been struggling with Web before in Quantal, it's not an easy task, but I can see that some progress has been made for getting Gnome 3.8 ready here, here and at the staging ppa

so I don't think it would take too long before all the peaces are put together in a working Gnome 3.8 and if we are lucky no peaces are missing

Update: GDM bug reported
    Last edited by Stinger; March 31st, 2013 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Gdm bug reported

Beans
    Distro

GNOME Web (Epiphany) 3.7.91 is available in the GNOME3 PPA now. It took several days to get the new WebKit to build on the Ubuntu PPAs. I don't plan on working on a newer WebKit any time soon (which is a pre-requisite to get a newer version of GNOME Web) but I may take a look once Debian gets around to packaging it. You'll need to install epiphany-browser-webkit2 if you want the brand new WebKit2 version; otherwise, epiphany-browser offers the more thoroughly tested WebKit version.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    GNOME Web (Epiphany) 3.7.91 is available in the GNOME3 PPA now.
    Thanks much for taking the time to build it. I installed the webkit2 version a few hours ago and so far, so good.

Been using Ubuntu Gnome 13.04 since the iso's were available. Moved over from Fedora 18. That's really good. This is better. On 3.6, I had only one apport alert, from Rhythmbox. I've had a few more with 3.8, especially from Network Manager, but fewer than I'd expect from an unreleased version of Ubuntu running a mix of Gnome 3.8 and 3.7.9-whatever.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast