Thread: best way to connect pc to tv

Hybrid View

Beans

best way to connect pc to tv

Hello I want to hook up my Ubuntu 12.04 box to
    My TV full time. It is a dell inspiron (s530 I believe) with a VGA out. My TV is a cry with component s video and composite. Would I be better off getting a video card with s video out or a converter box? What hardware do you recommend? Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: best way to connect pc to tv

I don't know how well VGA to component converters work. But converting VGA to composite or S-video would end up similar to ancient 640x480 VGA, only more blurry.

HDTV works well as a monitor, especially 1080p. But you would likely be disappointed using an SD TV as a computer desktop.
    i5 650 3.2 GHz, 8 GB, nvidia GTX 550 Ti 32" 1080p | i7-4700, 8 GB, Intel HD 4600/nvidia GTX 765M 15.6" 1080p | etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi jitup.

I believe S-Video would give you 1024x768, so although a small improvement, it would be worthy going that direction.

However, getting another monitor or TV would an option to consider. That way you could use higher resolutions through the VGA output.

Just a thought.
    Regards.

Beans

I built a second Pc to do the job, an inexpensive dual core is plenty powerful. And the beauty is parts are cheap to free for that tech. The video card does not need to be fast, but should have atleast a gig of memory (under $50 easy new), and will have the connections you need.

I have been driving my TV almost a decade now, and have not paid a cent for television programming. I have watched almost everything there is to watch for nothing, to the piont that there is almost nothing new to watch. I see most movies before they even get to DVD (most are not worth paying for IMO).