Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laptop is overheating

Beans

Laptop is overheating

I just installed Ubuntu to my laptop Dell inspiron 1525. I used Windows on that machine for 5 years without any overheating. I used it more than 13 hours a day every day. But when I installed Ubuntu it is shutting down automatically. I checked kernel logs and is was saying "critical temp reached 99C".

Is there any way Ubuntu can control the temp of system when it is busy..Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Laptop is overheating

Is the fan turning at all?
    It could be a misreading, but more likely the CPU fan isnt working. In either case, please see the link in my signature for possible causes and solutions.

If that doesnt help, have a look here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...5&postcount=14

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by P4man View Post
    Is the fan turning at all?
    It could be a misreading, but more likely the CPU fan isnt working. In either case, please see the link in my signature for possible causes and solutions.

If that doesnt help, have a look here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...5&postcount=14
    Thanks for your reply first of all. I appreciate it very much. Yes, The fan is fully functional. At the moment I have rescaled my cpu clock to 800Mhz(max is 1.7GHz) to reduce overheating, But I am running that manually and I am cutting back most of programmes to prevent overheating. Is there any way I can automate the system to scale back the clock speed when it is getting too warm..Please note it takes less than one hour for the system to reach the critical trip point and It is also bit wierd. All ideas wellcome.Thanks in advance..

Beans

I just posted a response to this issue last night. Find a compressed air source and blow high PSI air directly into the fan while the fan is running. Should create a huge dust cloud.

psusi is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yep, clean out the dust

Beans
    Hidden!

Cleaning the heatsink is definately a good idea, but also do check the link in my signature, a buggy acpi bios will often incorrectly report overheating to linux, when in reality all it wants is to speed up the fan. If the fan isnt blowing full speed, then its likely not a dust problem, but a bios one. Installing lm-sensors to read CPU temps might shed more light on it.

Beans

I have a toshiba satelite M550 and it overheats everyones laptop is overheating this is not a dust issue its a bug in the os. when i switch back to windows no overheating fan turns on just fine when i switch to ubuntu fan doesnt turn on at al and the pc overheats. THIS IS NOT A DUST ISSUE! please stop telling people to blow out the fan because its dirty. If you dont have any useful help dont speak. Thanks to all the guys actually coming up with solutions ive seen several guys have fixed theirs ive yet to find a satelite fix but im working on it hopefully get something soon and ill post it. until then please stop with the BLOW OUT YOUR DUST bs please. its annoying.

psusi is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If the fan does not turn on, it is because your bios is broken. Many vendors ship broken ACPI BIOS and tell you to install some BS windows software to work around the bug.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I know this has been said but seriously cleaning out the heat sink makes a hell of a difference. There is no need to get all angry and bent out of shape about people suggesting it. On my windows box when I first got GTA4 I couldn't get it to run without a super low framerate. But I took the heat sink out and gave it a clean and put some new heat paste on the CPU and then after that the game ran smoothly and 5 degrees colder.

The issues with shutting down is most probably a BIOS issue as when the bios reports that it is getting too hot and needs to speed the fan up Ubuntu sometimes ready it as a "Too hot must shutdown" message from certain BIOS models.

There has been no useless advice on the thread and so please don't leave angry, rude messages as that is the only unhelpful post!!
    apt-get moo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by P4man View Post
    Cleaning the heatsink is definately a good idea, but also do check the link in my signature, a buggy acpi bios will often incorrectly report overheating to linux, when in reality all it wants is to speed up the fan. If the fan isnt blowing full speed, then its likely not a dust problem, but a bios one. Installing lm-sensors to read CPU temps might shed more light on it.
    Thanks all for your replies and suggestions. I have done almost everything you guys have suggested before posting this thread. But now I am running my both cores at 800MHz to reduce the heat and it is a workaround. But it works ok for time being. I just installed this lm-sensor , but don't know how to run that app from command line. Any ideas...Thanks in advance..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast