Thread: My computer will no longer boot

Beans

My computer will no longer boot

I have a dual boot (Windows 7/Ubuntu) system and I recently accidentally formatted a 500GB partition on a 1TB hard disc (see thread "Lost Data after formatting hard disc"). I could not recover the original partition but recovered the important files I had lost. Then I tried to format the partition back to how it was originally (500GB NTFS). After my disastrous accidental formatting the 500 GB had broken into about 5 sections - 3 large ones of circa 410 GB, 50 GB and 9 GB and two small ones (MBs). I used GParted but I could not see a way to put the Humpty Dumpty 500 GB back together. I then decided to boot up into Windows and use the Windows utility. I think I could have done it right but I ended up formatting each of the 3 large sections into separate NTFS partitions (More, Spare 1, Spare 2. Extra is the [original, untouched] 500 GB partition on the 1 TB disc). All seemed OK then I rebooted. I never got the chance to select an operating system. Black screen with
    Error no such device: 801be6c2-cabc-49f8-a74f-fa06b7167cbf
    grub rescue >

I then used Boot-Repair Disk.
    Before repairing I saved the report http://paste.ubuntu.com/5645194
    Then I repaired (2 or 3 times) but it did not work.
    The last report made is http://paste.debian.net/244553

I looked at the latter report and even my dumb brain can see that what I did was stupid (I should have formatted dev/sdc2) but I am surprised that a fault on a disk that does not contain the OS means that the computer will not boot.

Help!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: My computer will no longer boot

If you don't have any important data to loose on you Hard Disk then, I suggest delete all partitions and reformat. Boot with Ubuntu LiveCD/USB and use Gparted to delete all your partitions. If you want NTFS then use Windows Install disk to recreate the NTFS partitions.
    If you have data to save then Use Ubuntu LiveCD to save all that you want to on another HDD or USB or DVD and then delete, recreate and reformat partitions.

If you have installed Grub on the HDD that "you worked on" then while formating and deleting you must have damaged the Grub.

If you have two HDD then I suggest you install Windows on One and Ubuntu on another. Just change the BIOS settings to boot the Ubuntu HDD first... That ways you can have pristine Windows safe on its own HDD.
    Last edited by fantab; March 26th, 2013 at 10:23 AM.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

+1 to fantab's advice/assessment
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans

So, using GParted I deleted all of the partitions on sdc2 however I never had any menu option to format the unallocated volume. I booted into Windows and could format the 500GB space. In Windows, all looked OK and I shutdown. But the system will not reboot - coming up with exactly the same error. I ran the Boot-repair disc and the report is http://paste.debian.net/244994/.
    Looking at the report from Boot-Repair I see that GRUB2 is indeed installed on /dev/sdc (and /dev/sdb). So it is obviously corrupted on sdc. However, remembering that we are in the Absolute Beginners section I have no idea how to repair it or, indeed, much idea what it means. However I also do not see any sign of Linux/Ubuntu.
    A couple of years ago I installed Ubuntu on to my Windows PC and selected the Dual-Boot option and, until 2 days ago, that is exactly what I got when I powered up the PC.
    I think, unknown to me Ubuntu was installed on the 1 TB disc and has been wiped when I accidentally formatted "that" partition
    Do I have to re-install Ubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jrbrooks View Post
    So, using GParted I deleted all of the partitions on sdc2 however I never had any menu option to format the unallocated volume. I booted into Windows and could format the 500GB space. In Windows, all looked OK and I shutdown. But the system will not reboot - coming up with exactly the same error. I ran the Boot-repair disc and the report is http://paste.debian.net/244994/.
    Looking at the report from Boot-Repair I see that GRUB2 is indeed installed on /dev/sdc (and /dev/sdb). So it is obviously corrupted on sdc. However, remembering that we are in the Absolute Beginners section I have no idea how to repair it or, indeed, much idea what it means. However I also do not see any sign of Linux/Ubuntu.
    A couple of years ago I installed Ubuntu on to my Windows PC and selected the Dual-Boot option and, until 2 days ago, that is exactly what I got when I powered up the PC.
    I think, unknown to me Ubuntu was installed on the 1 TB disc and has been wiped when I accidentally formatted "that" partition
    Do I have to re-install Ubuntu?
    That would be my thought as well - the partitions are currently gone (shows up formated ast NTFS)
    Code:
    sdc1: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       ntfs
        Boot sector type:  Windows Vista: NTFS
        Boot sector info:  No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
        Operating System:  
        Boot files:        

sdc2: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       ntfs
        Boot sector type:  Windows 7/2008: NTFS
        Boot sector info:  No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
        Operating System:  
        Boot files:
    However, in your first post, all your partitions were NTFS http://paste.ubuntu.com/5645194/
    so Ubuntu was gone already.

You would need to reinstall Ubuntu in this case - as Ubuntu is gone.
    Ubuntu Forums Moderation Staff
    So don't be ashamed to wear your crown, you're a king you're a queen inside and out

Beans

Now my system is working fine - but I only have Windows installed.
    On re-installing Ubuntu V12.04 using the Windows Installer I found it was totally unstable - freezing up and then going to a blacvk screen with the following error messages being continually updating
    "Failed to idle channel 1
    Failed to idle channel 2"
    Switching off the computer was the only way out.
    I have a 64 bit dual processor system

There is some history to this as I originally had installed V10.04 and this ran without any problems. Then I upgraded to V12.04 and it quite often used to freeze up. I suppose I should start a new relevant thread.

Beans

testing

Beans

I posted a question on Ask Ubuntu, haven't received an answer yet - the problem seems similar to jrbrooks'. Does anyone have any answer?

I am new to Linux and have recently set up a dual boot with Windows 7 on my Lenovo W530 (8gb RAM). During the partitioning phase of setting up my dual boot I noticed there was a 8gb partition set aside for Hibernation. Apparently this is a regular situation faced by those wishing to partition a SSD.
    Anyway, the installation of Ubuntu 12.04 64bit went ahead and everything had been relatively smooth over the last few days whilst I downloaded and installed the software I required. I must admit as a noob, I felt I was copying and pasting a lot of terminal commands that might have altered the internal dynamics of the computer in ways I could not comprehend. However, this process was mostly successful.
    After setting up most of the software I turned my attention to the hibernation function, as I thought it would be a waste of 8gb on my SSD if it was not utilised on Ubuntu. After reading the forums, I found that the function for hibernate had been hidden due to instability issues. I pressed ahead and followed the instructions to reenable it. This was successful. However, I noticed that on shutdown or restart, the computer would hang on a black screen in the final stages of the shutdown process. It required me to long press the power button to turn off the machine.
    This morning I tried to boot the computer and found that the computer now hangs on a black screen after selecting Ubuntu in GRUB. Long pressing the power button loads the Ubuntu shutting down screen (loading dot animation), but sometimes this also leads to another black screen.
    After this I booted the machine and selected the recovery menu, and after trying to boot it as a 'regular' session, the machine does not recognise my login (or maybe I am mistaken??). My first attempt at selecting the recovery menu showed a message: ata_id [878]:hdio_get_identity failed for '/dev/sbd': invalid. Although the problem persists, this message is not shown anymore.
    I tried Boot Repair however this also failed to resolve the issue. FYI the message after completing Boot Repair was: http://paste2.org/p/3482165
    Feeling very lost right now! Please help!

Beans

hi, if you not have any important data in your PC then, delete all your partition and reboot it again..

Beans

Unfortunately, I have some software that has been installed that I won't have access to again if I wipe the PC. That will be my last resort if there is no other way of approaching this issue...