Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: modern distro with gnome2?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question modern distro with gnome2?

Hi all,
    I Just tried the 3.8 Ubuntu Kernel and its great. So I am finaly considerig leaving kernel 2.6
    I am looking for a distro with kernel 3.8, and gnome2 support.
    That's right gnome2, its my favourite, and I don't want to leave it. What are my options?

gnome3: unacceptable,
    Unity, not doing it. KDE i really would rather not.
    ~Conradin~

Beans

Re: modern distro with gnome2?

MATE Desktop. It's a fork of Gnome 2. Gnome 2 itself is completely dead and incompstible with current Linux Libraries. But the MATE fork works. Check out http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2216

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by ManamiVixen View Post
    MATE Desktop.
    +1

Linux Mint Maya - 13, is LTS

MATE

Beans

Go with Linux mint with Mate

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    I am looking for a distro with kernel 3.8, and gnome2 support.
    Your options are limited.
    Have a look at Fuduntu, it's a rolling release so it should have newer kernels and they still maintain Gnome2 which is their default desktop.
    Another options is SolusOS which uses Gnome2, future version will use a patched & forked Gnome3 to behave like Gnome2

As others have suggested also have a look at Mint's MATE. Then there is also XFCE which you can make very similar to Gnome2, many Gnome2 users have moved over to XFCE, can even have that applications, places, system on the panel.
    http://mylinuxexplore.blogspot.com/2...mparasion.html

Gnome2 is pretty much dead so you should probably be looking for an alternative or stop using computers if you are dead set against change.

Beans

Fedora 18 also has MATE. You can install it on its own via netinstall.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

yeah i have had a look at Fuduntu, I decided its worth seeding at-least.
    I stumbled on to Ultimate Ubuntu 3.4, which seems interesting. Though I haven't tried it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Your options are limited.
    Have a look at Fuduntu, it's a rolling release so it should have newer kernels and they still maintain Gnome2 which is their default desktop.
    Another options is SolusOS which uses Gnome2, future version will use a patched & forked Gnome3 to behave like Gnome2

As others have suggested also have a look at Mint's MATE. Then there is also XFCE which you can make very similar to Gnome2, many Gnome2 users have moved over to XFCE, can even have that applications, places, system on the panel.
    http://mylinuxexplore.blogspot.com/2...mparasion.html

Gnome2 is pretty much dead so you should probably be looking for an alternative or stop using computers if you are dead set against change.
    ~Conradin~

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's up to you, but I'd steer clear of Gnome2 or any forks.
    If you must use Gnome, check out Cinnamon.
    Otherwise, I would recommend XFCE/Xubuntu. You'll get a similar-to-Gnome2 experience, plus it'll be a good bit more lightweight.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The current Fuduntu release is very nice. Check their site to see what they mean by "rolling".

Debian Squeeze is Gnome 2, and the original Solusos release is based on it.

You can even do an install of Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS and add "ubuntu-desktop" to get Gnome Lucid Lynx-style. The desktop is EOL at the end of this month, but the server won't be for two years.

At this point, I'd wait until MATE 1.6 comes out before I committed to it. Believe that's due in April.

CentOS and Scientific Linux, recompilations of RHEL, are solid Gnome 2 products, but are beginning to show their age for desktop use.

We will see interfaces modeled on Gnome 2 -- MATE, SolusOS, probably Fuduntu at some point -- but Gnome 2 itself is dead and getting deader.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    The current Fuduntu release is very nice. Check their site to see what they mean by "rolling".

You can even do an install of Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS and add "ubuntu-desktop" to get Gnome Lucid Lynx-style. The desktop is EOL at the end of this month, but the server won't be for two years.
    Can i just change the software sources to the server edition?
    ~Conradin~

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast