Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: modern distro with gnome2?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Beans
    1,125
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Question modern distro with gnome2?

    Hi all,
    I Just tried the 3.8 Ubuntu Kernel and its great. So I am finaly considerig leaving kernel 2.6
    I am looking for a distro with kernel 3.8, and gnome2 support.
    That's right gnome2, its my favourite, and I don't want to leave it. What are my options?

    gnome3: unacceptable,
    Unity, not doing it. KDE i really would rather not.
    ~Conradin~

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Beans
    525

    Re: modern distro with gnome2?

    MATE Desktop. It's a fork of Gnome 2. Gnome 2 itself is completely dead and incompstible with current Linux Libraries. But the MATE fork works. Check out http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2216

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Beans
    443
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: modern distro with gnome2?

    Quote Originally Posted by ManamiVixen View Post
    MATE Desktop.
    +1

    Linux Mint Maya - 13, is LTS

    MATE

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Beans
    277

    Re: modern distro with gnome2?

    Go with Linux mint with Mate

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    5,990

    Re: modern distro with gnome2?

    Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    I am looking for a distro with kernel 3.8, and gnome2 support.
    Your options are limited.
    Have a look at Fuduntu, it's a rolling release so it should have newer kernels and they still maintain Gnome2 which is their default desktop.
    Another options is SolusOS which uses Gnome2, future version will use a patched & forked Gnome3 to behave like Gnome2

    As others have suggested also have a look at Mint's MATE. Then there is also XFCE which you can make very similar to Gnome2, many Gnome2 users have moved over to XFCE, can even have that applications, places, system on the panel.
    http://mylinuxexplore.blogspot.com/2...mparasion.html

    Gnome2 is pretty much dead so you should probably be looking for an alternative or stop using computers if you are dead set against change.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Beans
    100

    Re: modern distro with gnome2?

    Fedora 18 also has MATE. You can install it on its own via netinstall.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Beans
    1,125
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: modern distro with gnome2?

    yeah i have had a look at Fuduntu, I decided its worth seeding at-least.
    I stumbled on to Ultimate Ubuntu 3.4, which seems interesting. Though I haven't tried it yet.


    Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Your options are limited.
    Have a look at Fuduntu, it's a rolling release so it should have newer kernels and they still maintain Gnome2 which is their default desktop.
    Another options is SolusOS which uses Gnome2, future version will use a patched & forked Gnome3 to behave like Gnome2

    As others have suggested also have a look at Mint's MATE. Then there is also XFCE which you can make very similar to Gnome2, many Gnome2 users have moved over to XFCE, can even have that applications, places, system on the panel.
    http://mylinuxexplore.blogspot.com/2...mparasion.html

    Gnome2 is pretty much dead so you should probably be looking for an alternative or stop using computers if you are dead set against change.
    ~Conradin~

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: modern distro with gnome2?

    It's up to you, but I'd steer clear of Gnome2 or any forks.
    If you must use Gnome, check out Cinnamon.
    Otherwise, I would recommend XFCE/Xubuntu. You'll get a similar-to-Gnome2 experience, plus it'll be a good bit more lightweight.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Beans
    1,345
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: modern distro with gnome2?

    The current Fuduntu release is very nice. Check their site to see what they mean by "rolling".

    Debian Squeeze is Gnome 2, and the original Solusos release is based on it.

    You can even do an install of Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS and add "ubuntu-desktop" to get Gnome Lucid Lynx-style. The desktop is EOL at the end of this month, but the server won't be for two years.

    At this point, I'd wait until MATE 1.6 comes out before I committed to it. Believe that's due in April.

    CentOS and Scientific Linux, recompilations of RHEL, are solid Gnome 2 products, but are beginning to show their age for desktop use.

    We will see interfaces modeled on Gnome 2 -- MATE, SolusOS, probably Fuduntu at some point -- but Gnome 2 itself is dead and getting deader.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Beans
    1,125
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: modern distro with gnome2?

    Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    The current Fuduntu release is very nice. Check their site to see what they mean by "rolling".


    You can even do an install of Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS and add "ubuntu-desktop" to get Gnome Lucid Lynx-style. The desktop is EOL at the end of this month, but the server won't be for two years.
    Can i just change the software sources to the server edition?
    ~Conradin~

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •