Thread: Deleted everything in /etc/fstab , help?

Beans

Question Deleted everything in /etc/fstab , help?

Hello,

I did something very stupid as I know very little about Ubuntu. I tried to add a rule to /etc/fstab but ended up deleting everything (and I think I saved it to). Now, when I go back and check the file I see that it's empty. I still didn't reboot, I am typing this thread from my system at this very moment. Can someone tell me how to undo the changes I made, or does someone know about a way of changing the file back? I still didn't reboot, so I think that there has to be a way of reading all my mounted partitions and add them to fstab, or am I wrong?

Can someone please reply? Thank you in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Deleted everything in /etc/fstab , help?

I know you are concerned, but cross-posting in different parts of the forum is against the forum rules because it dilutes community effort. Fortunately you have an excellent response from forum member Cheesemill in your other thread here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2129271

Provide the information Cheesemill requests and you will get the help you need.

This thread closed.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.