Thread: Wild Metal Country

Hybrid View

Beans

Wild Metal Country

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience getting Wild Metal Country to work in Wine with 12.04?

I installed it. At first there was no keyboard capture. I tried multiple things (which I did not record and now cannot replicate) and eventually got it working nicely.

Then never one to leave well enough alone, I tried to get a joystick to work with it. It did not. It crashed and burned.

I have uninstalled and deleted the orphaned program folders with the .cfg files. I have browsed the registry but cannot find any orphaned entries.

I have reinstalled.

Now I get keyboard capture again, but keys just open what looks like a chat box in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.

WMC is on the supported list for Wine.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    Last edited by houseisland; March 26th, 2013 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Typos

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Wild Metal Country

Moved to Wine section.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Artificial Intelligence View Post
    Moved to Wine section.
    Thx.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by houseisland View Post
    ... WMC is on the supported list for Wine.
    If you want to call a BRONZE rating -- supported! Read through the material in the link and see if anything helps:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ation&iId=2185
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    If you want to call a BRONZE rating -- supported! Read through the material in the link and see if anything helps:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ation&iId=2185
    Thanks.

There are three ratings for the game Gold, Silver, and Bronze. Bronze is the most recent. The complaints in the ratings are about occasional sluggishness/unresponsiveness of game controls. I seem to remember similar issues in Win2K and XP.

For me this was a relatively low/no priority issue. I was just setting up a new/recycled 12.04 PC for my daughter and experimenting with WINE. Wild Metal Country was a game that she and her brother liked to play when they were little. The PC has already gone to its new home. Now it is a complete no priority issue.

I am just sorry that I did not leave well enough alone when I had Wild Metal Country working nicely.

WINE is interesting. I find it quite ironic that I am able to get old 16 BIT Windows applications from the Win3.11/Win95-cusp era to work in 12.04 x64 with the help of WINE where they will not work at all in Vista x64 or Win7 x64. One of the good things about MS operating systems (as compared to Fruit) used to be that any well written DOS or Windows application from any era would (or with a little effort could be made to) run in a current version of Windows - 16 BIT support probably stopped with introduction of 64 bit OSes with XP and Win2K3.

Thanks again.