Thread: Low latency in PureData(Pd) with Jack in Ubuntu Studio 12.04

Beans

Low latency in PureData(Pd) with Jack in Ubuntu Studio 12.04

I´m having trouble to make PureData(Pd) to work at low latency in Ubuntu Studio 12.04.
    I get Pd and Jack to work together with my Audio Interface (Alesis IO4) but only at a frames/Period of 1024, which means a latency of 45.2 ms.
    As soon as I try to lower the Frames/period to lower the latency, I get an Audio I/O error from Pd.
    I tried to mess around with the oder parameters, but the only one who appears to affect Pd (and the latency) is the Frames/Period.
    I also tried to use the configuration explained here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ho...KConfiguration , but it doesn´t work either. I really need to get the lowest latency possible, because I work with live instruments and proccesing.
    Any thoughts that may help?

Beans

Re: Low latency in PureData(Pd) with Jack in Ubuntu Studio 12.04

I dont know much that could help you here, but have you checked that yours "Periods/buffer" is set to 3 (I believe that is what is required for USB interfaces).

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

What is your CPU? Is it set to performance governour?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by calimastrusia View Post
    I´m having trouble to make PureData(Pd) to work at low latency in Ubuntu Studio 12.04.
    I get Pd and Jack to work together with my Audio Interface (Alesis IO4) but only at a frames/Period of 1024, which means a latency of 45.2 ms.
    As soon as I try to lower the Frames/period to lower the latency, I get an Audio I/O error from Pd.
    I tried to mess around with the oder parameters, but the only one who appears to affect Pd (and the latency) is the Frames/Period.
    I also tried to use the configuration explained here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ho...KConfiguration , but it doesn´t work either. I really need to get the lowest latency possible, because I work with live instruments and proccesing.
    Any thoughts that may help?
    Make sure you are on linux-lowlatency.
    Code:
    $ uname -r
    3.8.0-14-lowlatency
    Much depending on your audio device, you should be able to set frames/pediod as low as 64. This is what I would recommend for live audio (this is what I use myself with pd).

Also, you can start pd in realtime, with the flag -rt

I would not be fully concerned about errors, as long you don't hear anything.