Thread: Wireless Slows Down After Update

Beans

Wireless Slows Down After Update

SOLVED! Running Ubuntu 12.04 on Compaq Presario dual core AMD processor, 250 GB hard drive, 2 GB RAM.

I recently had the experience that after an update about two months ago, my wireless internet connection slowed down to a crawl. I first began to wonder if I had somehow corrupted my installation, and since I had little on this computer I cared to save, I backed everything up and re-installed. I wish I had tested the connection on the basic re-install before I updated everything, but I didn’t and after the full system update there was no change – you could still time the opening of a web page with a sundial. So I started searching on this forum and on Google for a fix.

I actually found this to be a somewhat common problem; or at least a lot of posts about it. It appears that this is related only to wireless connections – that confirmed my own personal experience as I have two other computers running 12.04 that have etho connections, and they have experienced no change. I found at least about a half dozen suggested solutions and tried them all, but the only solution I tried that actually worked for me was found at the following link: http://www.hitxp.com/articles/softwa...natty-narwhal/. This problem first raised its ugly head in 11.04, but the fix worked like a charm for me in 12.04.

Apparently after a certain update, there is a problem with the power manager reducing the power to the wireless device slowing it down considerably. I simply copied and pasted the commands the author listed in the terminal and I had my old speed back. Make sure that you follow the entire post including the last piece of code toward the bottom. As the author reports (and I can confirm), you won’t recover all of your speed unless you do. I’m posting about it here since I actually found this fix on a different site and I’m not sure how many people know about it here. If this is old news, I apologize, but I always like to share when I find a solution to a vexing problem. Hope it helps someone else!
    Last edited by Javelin Dan; March 25th, 2013 at 04:42 PM.
    "Discovery begins when you throw away the instruction manual!"