Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Many Distros-for what?

Hybrid View

Beans

Many Distros-for what?

Hi,

There are many distros available....I will not try them all, where can I find a documentation which deals with all of them, their pro's and con's, etc.. A few I installed on a flashdrive, trying them is interesting but so time consuming.
    When installing them on a netbook as multi/dualboot how can I remove them completely and without destroying Win?

Thanks for your hints,
    Citta

Beans

Re: Many Distros-for what?

Hello,

Hope These links help!

Here is some popular linux distros
    http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/best-linux-distributions

And here is how to uninstall (in this case ubuntu)
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-safely-uninstall-ubuntu-in-windows-dual-boot-environment/

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Want to try many distros? If your machine is up to it, maybe you should look into VirtualBox. Once learned, it makes playing around a lot easier

https://www.virtualbox.org/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

The idea behind Linux Distros has always been to offer choice which, by definition, is subjective and cannot be pinned down. In stark contrast, the idea behind proprietary software is to take away choice--to lock you in and pin you down. This makes it impossible to just summarize one Distro's advantages over another (because it depends on a complex interplay of your specific needs, hardware capabilities, computing knowledge and desire to learn). Again, in stark contrast, it is only too easy to summarize what a proprietary OS is all about because it sets out to be a no-brainer, in both the good and bad sense of that phrase.

The practical upshot is:

You don't have to try all of the different distros or even a fraction of them. Think of them as being there for your benefit. Therefore, don't let their sheer numbers dictate your actions.

My recommendation is:

1. Stick to one of the 'buntu flavours. They have the best community support through sheer numbers of users.
    2. If your hardware is old and relatively underpowered, use Lubuntu.
    3. If not so old or underpowered, but you want an interface close to Windows, use Xubuntu (or Lubuntu).
    4. If hardware is newer and sufficiently powerful, and you like new funky interfaces, use Kubuntu or Ubuntu.

Other distros like Fedora, OpenSUSE, Gentoo, etc. can be ignored for now, but are there if you don't like any of the 'buntu flavours. If you treat them not as distros that you absolutely have to try, but instead as backups in case none of the 'buntu flavours suit you, then you don't get overwhelmed with choices and can just install and move on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

The Answer Please if at all Possible

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I would go with DuckHook's recommendations. Ubuntu has one of the best support forums which very Newb friendly.

However, here is an online tool to determine which is best distro for you (only most popular distros are selected, not all). Also follow the link alien0304 has posted, it has a lot of info about Linux OS.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

When installing them on a netbook as multi/dualboot how can I remove them completely and without destroying Win?
    If you set up a second or third, or even fourth partition, then adding and removing distros should not bork Windows.
    The most likely scenario would be the boot partition for Windows getting corrupted. In which case look at tools like EasyBCD
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Moved to Other OS/Distro Talk.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

My view on the distros I know best:

Arch -> PRO: The shortest wait since a program releases a new version and it is available to users. CON: Slightly difficult for beginners, although easier than Gentoo for example.
    Debian -> PRO:The most stable distribution. CON: Except a few selected programs that are backported, most of the software is "old".
    Ubuntu-> PRO: The most user friendly distro until now. CON: Uncertain future, in two years it's going to be a mobile OS that will retain almost no resemblance to what it has been until now.
    Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu and Mint: PRO: All that makes Ubuntu good without the recent controversial changes. CON: Uncertain future, because they are based on Ubuntu.

Beans

I have used many distros and some are better then others.
    Currently I use openSUSE 12.3 and its very rock solid, it just lacks a few packages that i needed to convert or install from other RPM based distros.
    Otherwise I usually stick with ubuntu or its spin offs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast