Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: send message to user's GUI through command line

Beans

Re: send message to user's GUI through command line

<remote-user> refers to the user whose X session you are trying to pop the message up on - you are trying to grab the magic cookie that will let your notify-send talk to their X session

If <remote-user> doesn't have a .Xauthority (or it's in a non-standard location i.e. not the user's home dir) then I'm clueless - sorry

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

Just to reiterate steeldriver...

Code:
    cat /home/<remote-user>/.Xauthority | ...
    Change the bolded remote user to the name of the user to send the message to.

<remote-user> is just a place holder for a user name.

If they have no X session then use the command

Code:
    wall
    From
    Code:
    man wall
    Wall displays the contents of file or, by default, its standard input, on the terminals of all currently logged in users.
    I suspect they have an X session though.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I put the real user in place of <remote-user>, for privacy sake I put it back in for posting here.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    <remote-user> refers to the user whose X session you are trying to pop the message up on - you are trying to grab the magic cookie that will let your notify-send talk to their X session

If <remote-user> doesn't have a .Xauthority (or it's in a non-standard location i.e. not the user's home dir) then I'm clueless - sorry
    also, when I do the "xauth list" it says it is creating /home/me/.Xauthority in my home directory, but an ls -A does not show one for me either.

Beans

Hmm

I guess it could be a matter of the remote user's permissions - both the machines I tested it on have the default Ubuntu umask, making the remote user's home dir drwxr-xr-x

Another way that works for me (at least when the remote session is running under lightdm) is to grab the root cookie:

Code:
    sudo sh -c 'DISPLAY=:0 XAUTHORITY=/var/run/lightdm/root/:0 /usr/bin/notify-send test "This is a test"'

Beans
    Distro

default umask is in place.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Synoc View Post
    I would LIKE to be able to, from the command line, send a message to their GUI informing them they will need to restart their computer after they have concluded their business for the time being. Is this possible? so we are clear, I have my own account with sudoer permissions to administrate this account. I would be sending the message from my account (on the CLI) to their account (preferably a popup window in their GUI).
    Wouldn't it be easiest to just use MSN or Skype or Google Talk etc? Just initiate a group chat to pop up the dialog on all users PCs. I've not tried it but you can also use Empathy or Pidgin with the Bonjour protocol to discover and chat to local LAN users without a server. May be worth looking at?

Beans
    Distro

regrettably, IM programs are not on the agenda. it is looking like I will have to su into the user account and inform them or else schedule the PC to restart around 4 AM when I am certain it will not be use. less efficient, but it will do the job.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12