Thread: Partitioning Query

Beans

Partitioning Query

I just began using Ubuntu yesterday and I love it so far. My mother is very interested in switching over to Ubuntu as well but would like to keep a small portion of the hard-drive partitioned for Windows so that she can use her iTunes (she has an iPad which kind of tethers her to the Apple eco-system). I DO know how to partition the hard-drive but I don't know very much about how exactly partitions work so here is my basic question: Since her Windows is so slow (and possibly infected) if I partition the hard-drive can anything from the Windows "side" of the partition affect or otherwise negatively impact performance on the Ubuntu "side" of the partition? Please don't get too techy with the answers, I'm not terrible with computers but I am still learning in this area. Thanks!
    Last edited by edenriot; March 25th, 2013 at 05:16 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Partitioning Query

My wife does not use iTunes, but has never connected iPhone nor iPad to computer. I have backed up photos to Ubuntu with direct connection, but have seen a lot of users trying and having issue with music on iPhone and Linux.

Generally virus' are not an issue, as they are designed for modifying Windows and Windows software. Windows does not even see the Linux partitions. But a very nasty virus that erased entire drive, partition table or MBR could of course cause problems.
    In Linux you can get a virus but it has to spoof you into thinking it is something you want and you giving it root access. It cannot just run a program in the background as it cannot get past sudo for file ownership and permissions.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

Re: Partitioning Query

Thanks, that answers my question. I'll let you know if things don't pan out as expected.