Thread: Asus EeePC 1005Ha

Hybrid View

Beans

Asus EeePC 1005Ha

Ubuntu 12.10
    Asus
    EeePC 1005Ha

I do have a problem, so help is greatly appreciated:

Technically my above mentioned netbook has a 150 GB hard drive. It used to be full 4 months ago. Of course it booted slower than it did before (4 minutes to erstwhile 35 secs to 1.5 mintues). In January I freed about 25 GB of space. Everything is still so very slow. Btw, those 4 minutes include the time waiting until I can use my mouse. I am positive that it's not because of Ubuntu itself (since I'm always upgrading). What can I do that my netbook boots like it used to. My keyring screen appears after 10 mins, so want deactivated as well. Please don't tell that I have to buy a new netbook. It's three years old and hardly lets me down (besides the occasional overheating and what not).

I want to write my thesis on thing, but with 4 minutes of boot up time (the first two minutes the "black screen" with all the commands, then the home screen appears and I have to wait until I can use my mouse.), I might have to fall back upon my WIN laptop. Please, do not let this happen. I tried everything (that I knew), re-configuring the BIOS (didn't do jack), setting defaults in the BIOS (didn't do jack).

So, what to do ?

Please help !

Kindly yours,

Babbington

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Laptop COMPATIBILITY List.

Are you sure your netbook has the minimum requirement of RAM for Ubuntu 12.10? See this post http://askubuntu.com/questions/20636...untu-on-my-sys

Ubuntu 12.10 requires a minimum of 768 MB of RAM available. If you only have 1 GB of RAM (which is the standard amount on many netbooks), chances are it may not be enough because your video adapter is using some of the RAM and therefore you may not have the minimum requirement of RAM available to adequately run the operating system. Also, you may want to see if your computer has Computer Janitor installed. If so, try running that.

Have you tried installing Ubuntu Netbook Remix instead of the standard 12.10? Here is a way that may work in 12.10 to bring back the standard netbook remix look to your netbook, and not bog down your system. I am running 10.04 myself, so I haven't tried this, but it seemed to work for the Unity interface in Ubuntu 11.10 for this person.

http://www.starkeith.net/coredump/20...natty-narwhal/

Hope this helps.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by babbington2 View Post
    Ubuntu 12.10
    Asus
    EeePC 1005Ha

Technically my above mentioned netbook has a 150 GB hard drive. It used to be full 4 months ago. Of course it booted slower than it did before (4 minutes to erstwhile 35 secs to 1.5 mintues). In January I freed about 25 GB of space. Everything is still so very slow. Btw, those 4 minutes include the time waiting until I can use my mouse. I am positive that it's not because of Ubuntu itself (since I'm always upgrading). What can I do that my netbook boots like it used to. My keyring screen appears after 10 mins, so want deactivated as well. Please don't tell that I have to buy a new netbook. It's three years old and hardly lets me down (besides the occasional overheating and what not).

I want to write my thesis on thing, but with 4 minutes of boot up time (the first two minutes the "black screen" with all the commands, then the home screen appears and I have to wait until I can use my mouse.), I might have to fall back upon my WIN laptop. Please, do not let this happen. I tried everything (that I knew), re-configuring the BIOS (didn't do jack), setting defaults in the BIOS (didn't do jack).

So, what to do ?

Please help !

Kindly yours,

Babbington

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Here is updated information on the subject of bringing the netbook remix look back to your netbook (this should make your system run faster because it should be less of a load on your video adapter)

http://www.starkeith.net/coredump/20...neiric-ocelot/

Ubuntu 12.10
    Asus
    EeePC 1005Ha

So, what to do ?

Please help !

Kindly yours,

Babbington

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nmyrick View Post
    Here is updated information on the subject of bringing the netbook remix look back to your netbook (this should make your system run faster because it should be less of a load on your video adapter)

http://www.starkeith.net/coredump/20...neiric-ocelot/
    thank you for your help. Unfortunately all the links at the above mentioned website are dead. And if I try to find them on my own with the Synaptic Manager it says that these packages do not exist anymore. Now I have discovered that not only my netbook takes an awful long time to boot, but also some commands (klicks, etc.) are not executed immediately, which means I basically have to wait another 2 minutes until a window opens/closes properly.

I have already installed the cinnamon desktop (according to this blog website) but I cannot activate it let alone find it. Additionally, when I open dash, he shows me a completely empty "applications" tray. Everything in Dash is displayed just fine. Please tell me that there is still hope. And yes, I have already tried to install bum and whatnot (the first result when I googled "Boot up time Ubuntu" and "speed up boot in Ubunu").

Any other ideas ? I really don't want to get rid of my netbook, since its been working fine for almost three years.

All the best,

babbington

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Asus EeePC 1005Ha

Moving the posts, as the original thread was not meant for support.

An eee is not a powerful creature. I would suggest Lubuntu 12.10.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    Moving the posts, as the original thread was not meant for support.

An eee is not a powerful creature. I would suggest Lubuntu 12.10.
    So far I have been using Ubuntu 10.04 (NBR) up to 12.10. Everything worked fine. Until my hard disk was full (150 GB). To make it boot faster again, I thought it would suffice if I freed 25.75 GB of hard disk space. So far, nothing. It actually still takes up to 5 minutes (3 1/2 of them for the start up screen i.e. something with ply boot, etc.) and at the desktop it takes another 2 minutes for everything (Name, time, battery status, etc.) to show up. Any application I like to start has a delay of at least two minutes. In total I am losing around 10 minutes to use the netbook.

My stats are the following:
    Memory 994.7 MB
    Intel Atom CPU N270 @ 1.60 GHz x 2
    Graphics Intel 945GME x86/MMX/SSE2
    OS-type 32-bit
    Disk 156.5 GB

I need to write my thesis on my netbook. I do not want to downgrade or install another Buntu on it, since this would mean I am losing all my files (I can't back up because it takes too long).

Please help !

thank you,

Babbington

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

My stats are the following:
    Memory 994.7 MB
    Intel Atom CPU N270 @ 1.60 GHz x 2
    Graphics Intel 945GME x86/MMX/SSE2
    OS-type 32-bit
    Disk 156.5 GB

I need to write my thesis on my netbook. I do not want to downgrade or install another Buntu on it, since this would mean I am losing all my files (I can't back up because it takes too long).
    1. your memory is low. Ubuntu unity interface uses 3D acceleration by default. this could be what is slowing it all down. it's hard to say without more info.

2. you select the desktop type (e.g. Cinamon) on the same screen where you login to Ubuntu. note that cinamon also uses 3D acceleration.

3. the easiest way to check if the desktop is slowing it down is to isntall a different desktop. for example instead of reinstalling with Xubuntu all you need to do is find xubuntu-desktop in software center, install it and then on login choose xubuntu or XFCE desktop. if it is fast and responsive you can then remove default Ubuntu, Gnome & Unity desktop using a command line or finding the packages to be removed.

another thing you could to is install htop. then open terminal and run
    Code:
    htop
    this will show all processes and you can see what is hogging down the system. and if there is actually enough ram available.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    1. your memory is low. Ubuntu unity interface uses 3D acceleration by default. this could be what is slowing it all down. it's hard to say without more info.

2. you select the desktop type (e.g. Cinamon) on the same screen where you login to Ubuntu. note that cinamon also uses 3D acceleration.

3. the easiest way to check if the desktop is slowing it down is to isntall a different desktop. for example instead of reinstalling with Xubuntu all you need to do is find xubuntu-desktop in software center, install it and then on login choose xubuntu or XFCE desktop. if it is fast and responsive you can then remove default Ubuntu, Gnome & Unity desktop using a command line or finding the packages to be removed.

another thing you could to is install htop. then open terminal and run
    Code:
    htop
    this will show all processes and you can see what is hogging down the system. and if there is actually enough ram available.
    I wish I were so easy. I can't even install any desktop. or if I do (also via sudo apt-get....) and then restart the computer, it doesn't even let me choose at the beginning. Eventhough I've set a password at the beginning of every session as well as for my keyring (which only rarely appears anymore after ten minutes or so, when I am already trying to work on my netbook), but nothing changed. I will try to install htop, however.

Believe it or not, I've already sudo'ed the cinnamon desktop; same thing here, when I restarted, nothing there as well.

thank you in advance for your help as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You should most definitely back up your data no matter in which system they reside.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

I might be in for a long shot there, but still: if I were to upgrade to 13.04 from 12.10 on my netbook, do you think the flaw will somehow go away ? No, huh ? Sorry for this stupid question. But sometimes you cling on even the most illogical of solutions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast