Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12.10 64-bit - Nautilus spins and spins on Home, sometimes locks machine up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: 12.10 64-bit - Nautilus spins and spins on Home, sometimes locks machine up

As expected, since I moved the share to mount under /media, the home directory does not lock up at all. But when the share stops responding the machine locks up tight as a drum. I'm rather disappointed by that as one of the strengths of Linux/Unix was you could do bad things, and the parts that were still working would continue chugging along. So having a network share drop off and locking the machine seems like there's something wrong somewhere.

I am mounting the share using /etc/fstab to attach. The share is on a Windows box that has a fixed IP, so it's not like it is disappearing.

In an earlier message there was this suggestion:
    I am using ubuntu 12.10 64 with gnome shell. I am just making an observation here but the same thing happens on my machine. The way I stop this from happening is go to advanced settings(gnome-tweak-tool) Desktop, and in that menu toggle off "Have file manager handle the desktop"
    If I find the tweak tool (apt get?) and do this, will DASH and the other features still work?

Thanks!
    Last edited by ewangr; March 27th, 2013 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Spelling

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

OK, found the tweak tool, installed, and made the suggested change. 2 hours later, same lock up.

Is there any key combination that should still work when the machine is in a busy loop just as a consideration for trying to get ANY info out of this?

Guess it's about time to find the windows install disk

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Anyone? Or is this just a lost cause?

Beans

Hello ewangr,

yes everything will still work the same, at least it does for me. Sorry that little tidbit isn't working for you. I really don't have any other 2 cents to throw in, sorry again. Hopefully someone will chime in and try to help you solve this problem. It would take a major catastrophe for me to move back to Micro-Fascist *******. Never going back to that. Sorry I can't be of more help to you.

Cheers,

Singtoh

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Post your fstab. Perhaps there is a mounting switch to reduce the ping-of-death.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

fsatb below:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
    # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
    # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    # / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
    UUID=4af389ad-ffc9-4764-bec9-4114250d1a9d / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
    UUID=af1e8d7c-8ac9-435b-8771-327d93635e53 none swap sw 0 0

//192.168.10.155/X /media/ewang/XShare cifs username=me,password=password,uid=1000 0 0

/dev/md0 /media/ewang/ERG12TB ext4 rw 0 0

Share is the line with the ip address in it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Anyone? Hello?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Try adding noatime to the end of the UUID option:

//192.168.10.155/X /media/ewang/XShare cifs username=me,password=password,uid=1000,noatime 0 0

Then reboot and see if the behavior changes.

There are a lot of things that can cause network share slowness. You might need to become an expert on cifs to troubleshoot this issue. Because Windows is serving the files, and I don't use Windows, others will have to suggest troubleshooting from the Windows side.

There are a lot of switches that control CIFS mounting behavior:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install cifs-utils
    man mount.cifs
    Proceed carefully, and make note of what switches you have tried and what the behavior is.

Also, check the cabling to and from the Windows machine. It's possible that it is a simple network connectivity issue. If it's a wireless connection, then you might have interference issues.
    Last edited by tgalati4; March 29th, 2013 at 06:07 PM.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Will try the noatime option, but I'm not very confident that is the issue.

As far as the cabling and all that, not sure if I made it clear that the share works flawlessly for the first couple of hours. So it's as if there is some timer on one end or the other that is doing something. Since I used to access the same disk attached to that same computer over the same network when the box I am currently using was running Windows, I think it's fair to suspect Ubuntu or the version of Samba that Ubuntu points to as an issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Adding noatime causes cifs to bomb and then will not mount the drive. So I think that option is out. Oh well...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12