Thread: Wireless dongle, D-Link DWA-140

Beans

Wireless dongle, D-Link DWA-140

Hi. I recently converted to Ubunutu and it is fantastic, With one exception. Connecting a wireless dongle seem to be a massive chore and from other threads on here nigh on bloody impossible!

I am not software tech minded, so assume I am thick and speak s-l-o-w-l-y in replies please.

After searching here there and everywhere and after trying a couple of other models, I have bough a D-Link DWA-140 wireless adapter which I am trying to use in a Dell INspiron 1200 running Ubuntu 12.04 but it doesn't even recognise it. I am a bit annoyed as this is touted here and in other places online as "working right out the box with Linux" which evidently it doesn't.

So can anyone show me, or explain, a simple way to get the damn thing working? I have followed one link to a Spanish forum which has step by step guide but the instructions are in Spanish and I cannot read them. Entering the lines in a terminal does not seem to be getting the same results on the screen as being displayed on the guide and as its Spanish I am not sure what's right or wrong.

I really don't want to go back to Windows, I love this system, but for simple installs of common things like this it must surely be made easier and more user-friendly. I mean connecting wirelessly should not really be a dark art......

Any help appreciated.

Beans

Re: Wireless Dongle Help Please - IT'S DRIVING ME MAD!

a. Did you take a look at this?

b. With chromium-browser, you can right-click on foreign language pages and translate to English (it is not perfect English, but you can usually get the sense of it).
    Intel Core i7-950 / Asus P6X58D-E / Nvidia GTX480 / siduction 64-bit on OCZ Revodrive SSD / KDE4.10.2/ Kubuntu 13.04

Beans

Re: Wireless dongle, D-Link DWA-140

Yes I did and I tried the translate thing as well, made better sense but nothing worked. The computer that was intended for has now died anyways, Ubuntu corrupted. Tried making new install disk on a good USB drive but that crashes part way through as well. Ubuntu is as **** as windows and mac.