Thread: How do I reduce special effects and return to a classic desktop in Quantal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question How do I reduce special effects and return to a classic desktop in Quantal

I would like to lighten the load on my graphics card etc, and turning off special effects is, as far as I know, one way to do that. And my reason for wanting the classic style is that I have no idea how to access some programs that I used with previous upgrades. Yes, I think Unity is my problem, also an old brain.
    Last edited by mörgæs; March 24th, 2013 at 11:02 PM.
    Permanent noob with coffee mug.

Just give me the donuts!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: How do I reduce special effects and return to a classic desktop in Quental

I believe it is not included by default in Quantal. If I am understanding correctly your question, you would like something more gnome 2.0.
    Try this link:
    http://www.ihaveapc.com/2012/10/how-...antal-quetzal/
    One vision, one purpose.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks Tito, that looks good, and I will try it if I can find the terminal. I can see that it's installed by looking at the software centre, but I have no launcher.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

ctrl+alt+t will get you to a terminal...
    Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

The quicker way is @arpanaut's. Also if you press alt+f2, and type in the box 'term', it should display the matches being one of them the terminal.
    I use KDE, but if I'm not mistaken if you click in the ubuntu symbol (the dash) the first in the panel, a new box should appear that do the same function as alt+f2.
    Also there is a tab to search for all your installed apps (I think above the search box is a menu of tabs).
    Last edited by El Tito; March 24th, 2013 at 10:52 PM.
    One vision, one purpose.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How do I reduce special effects and return to a classic desktop in Quantal

Thanks to both of you guys. The Ctrl=Alt+T worked fine, and now I have the Classic style desktop with no effects. Problem solved. Have a donut or two.

[IMG][/IMG]