Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu on Aspire One D270

Beans

Re: Ubuntu on Aspire One D270

Yes Rob. I have been looking into the Arch drivers for the Pouslbo chipset and other drivers and limited-documentation. The problem is that there is no Graphics Acceleration on the what seems to be updated GMA500_gfx kernel module. Therefore all the rendering takes place on the CPU. Maxing it out to 100%.

I'll keep researching though, I feel like im making small progress

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Not sure what a D270 is?

This is an Aspire One D255E $250 netbook, screen size 1024x600 happily running external monitor 1600x900 processor utilization normal with laptop screen off. It's a dual processor so I don't know if it would go to 100% or 200%?

Intel Corporation N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller

How do I tell what display driver is being used?

BTW, just got an Acer Chromebook C7 $199 which is dual processor 1 gHz 1366x768 screen, intel processor & display which for browsing only zooms compared to 1.6 gHz 64 bit dual processors netbook and notebook running unity ubuntu. I got it thinking I would put unity on it, there are some complex instructions on how to do it. Some blog comments ubuntu may not support the graphics accelerator on the C7. Anyway having fun fast browsing and video as is even though I'm no chrome fan.

Now doing anything other than browsing on the chromebook is a challenge, limited offline spreadsheet and write capability. I'm not about to knowingly put personal data up there in the cloud for the marketeers and hackers and spammers. That goes for ubuntu cloud also.

Oh, BTW, this is 12.04 64 bit new install I'm going to install a 13.04 64 bit in place of the 32 bit 13.04 for comparison.
    Last edited by jerrylamos; April 2nd, 2013 at 01:32 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I would strongly recommend using Lubuntu for your netbook. Lubuntu 12.10 will run many times faster than Unity and stock Ubuntu. Haven't used 13.04 yet, but I'm looking forward to grabbing a beta image soon.
    If you do use Unity, make sure you're aware of the fact that by default it will send your search phrases to Canonical servers and provide you with ads shopping suggestions. If you're not interested, you can turn the feature off.
    Good luck!

Beans
    Distro

On my Aspire One D255 10.1" netbook driving 20" external monitor at 1600x900, 1.6 gHz 1 GB, raring 13.04 64 bit

On a BBC video about 60% utilization on both processors with 5 tabs up on Firefox, including this one. According to the system monitor.

Video is running fine. I'm not using full screen because I couldn't see the monitor then.

Memory 56.2%, swap 32.7%.

Not sure about 12.04 64 bit vs 13.04 64 bit I've got both installed.

BTW, sitting on an endtable next to the lunch table, using wireless keyboard and mouse.

More memory on this model involves removing the mother board. Said to be much easier on the Acer C7 chromebook I just bought, The D255 does everything linux, the Chromebook does browsing and cloud. Period. I've read about Chrubuntu don't know whether it would support the nice C7 graphics accelerator.

Maybe my D255 is about like the D270?? I also have a 1.6 gHz Acer Amd64 notebook and a 3.3 gHz tower i386 32 bit Celeron. Given unstable development 13.04 with bugs all three run fine.

Do note on the Aspire One D255

grep "SNA init" /var/log/Xorg.0.log

reports

[ 14.298] (II) intel(0): SNA initialized with gen3 backend

which I think means there's Intel graphics acclelerator SNA initialized and running,

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cortman View Post
    I would strongly recommend using Lubuntu for your netbook. Lubuntu 12.10 will run many times faster than Unity and stock Ubuntu. Haven't used 13.04 yet, but I'm looking forward to grabbing a beta image soon.
    This netbook is running ubuntu unity nicely. I'm very definitely not a unity fan but it is working.

I like lubuntu fine but it is not nearly so good at causing bugs to report to launchpad as unity is.

Give 13.04 a whirl. I just installed a fresh amd64 raring .iso on this 64 bit Intel and running very usably. I have a 12.04.2 partition just in case, example the other day the screenshot wasn't working on the amd64 13.04. Just put the screenshot icon on the unity launcher so hopefully the problem is fixed.

Beans
    Distro

Oh, Systems Settings Details says the video driver is "Intel IGD" whatever that might mean. Runs O.K. I don't know if there are other choices.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    Not sure what a D270 is?

If not sure, why not find out first?
    http://panam.acer.com/acerpanam/netb...OD270sp2.shtml

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    If not sure, why not find out first?
    http://panam.acer.com/acerpanam/netb...OD270sp2.shtml
    +1

To find what driver, open a terminal and do 'lsmod | grep gma' and you should see your gma500_gfx

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    This netbook is running ubuntu unity nicely. I'm very definitely not a unity fan but it is working.

I like lubuntu fine but it is not nearly so good at causing bugs to report to launchpad as unity is.

Give 13.04 a whirl. I just installed a fresh amd64 raring .iso on this 64 bit Intel and running very usably. I have a 12.04.2 partition just in case, example the other day the screenshot wasn't working on the amd64 13.04. Just put the screenshot icon on the unity launcher so hopefully the problem is fixed.
    Does your netbook have the gma500 or gma3600 chip on it?

Beans
    Distro

On this D255E netbook, I think similar to D270 but bought fall 2011, I think Acer has several models of 10.1" netbook over the years.

lsmod grep | video
    gets
    acer_wmi,i915

lspci | grep 'vGA
    gets
    VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller

I don't know the chipset.

Intel® Atom™ CPU N455 @ 1.66GHz × 2

Anyway, running raring fine, either 32 or 64, BBC video and all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast