Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Kernel Question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Beans
    120
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Kernel Question

    I'm Running 13.04 from a Daily Build image that I downloaded on Friday and wondered what the Kernel Version is & if there is a newer stable one available, & if it's pretty simple for a newbie to update?

    Roland
    Last edited by roly33; March 24th, 2013 at 01:40 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    ExodusHair<Čubura
    Beans
    3,836
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Kernel Question

    Quote Originally Posted by roly33 View Post
    I'm Running 13.04 from a Daily Build image that I downloaded on Friday and wondered what the Kernel Version is & if there is a newer stable one available, & if it's pretty simple for a newbie to update?

    Roland
    You're not running 13.04 since that does not exist yet... You're running (let's say) Beta for future 13.04... Daily edition... There is one that is newer but not surely more stable: tomorrow's daily... If You just do regular update/upgrade You will get to RR(a.k.a. 13.04) and then to rolling one...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Beans
    120
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Kernel Question

    Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    You're not running 13.04 since that does not exist yet... You're running (let's say) Beta for future 13.04... Daily edition... There is one that is newer but not surely more stable: tomorrow's daily... If You just do regular update/upgrade You will get to RR(a.k.a. 13.04) and then to rolling one...
    I'm fully up-to-date with all the updates so, in-line with today's daily build. My question was related to the Kernel as I was asking if their is a newer Kernel than the one that is in the Dev build of 13.04 & how easy is it to update to the latest stable Kernel?

    Roland

  4. #4
    dino99's Avatar
    dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Nux Jam
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Kernel Question

    while updating/upgrading, the system take care of all the new packages, including possible new kernel

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Beans
    120
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Kernel Question

    Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    while updating/upgrading, the system take care of all the new packages, including possible new kernel
    Ok thank's.

    Roland

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Porto Alegre -
    Beans
    121
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Kernel Question

    Accordingly www.kernel.org, the latest stable kernel is 3.8.4, while RR seems freezed on 3.8.0...
    Last edited by spier; March 24th, 2013 at 01:51 PM. Reason: url tag mistake
    spier
    --------
    Linux user #410105

  7. #7
    dino99's Avatar
    dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Nux Jam
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Kernel Question

    Quote Originally Posted by spier View Post
    Accordingly www.kernel.org, the latest stable kernel is 3.8.4, while RR seems freezed on 3.8.0...
    numbering into ubuntu is different; simply glance at each ubuntu kernel changelog (into synaptic) to know the related vanilla number.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London, England
    Beans
    6,404
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Kernel Question

    When running the development branch we sometimes find that kernel updates break things and we have to use an older kernel. So, if the kernel that you have at present is not stable on your machine, then I doubt very much if a newer kernel brought in from outside the Ubuntu update sytem will improve things. Here is why.

    There is always a delay between the release of kernels through the Linux kernel organization and the merging of them in the Ubuntu development release. Some of these released kernels are beta or release candidates. In other words not to be viewed as stable. Some of us like to install them. Some of us like living on the edge. So, there are newer kernels available, but I would not call them stable from the point of view of Ubuntu.

    At the moment on my Raring install I have kernel 3.8.0.14. That is the 3.8 kernel with 14 modifications by the Ubuntu developers. I expect more to come through. But there is a kernel 3.8.4 available which is called stable by the Linux kernel developers and a release candidate for kernel 3.9 which is called mainline. We do not as yet have these in the Ubuntu development branch because the developers what to release a stable 13.04 Ubuntu in a months time.

    https://www.kernel.org/

    Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; March 24th, 2013 at 06:14 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530


  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tewkesbury uk
    Beans
    7,625
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Kernel Question

    If you are interested in the newest kernels...

    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
    Code:
    matthew-S206:/home/matthew % uname -r
    3.9.0-030900rc3-generic
    matthew-S206:/home/matthew %
    rc stands for release candidate, in this case release candidate 3.

    It's been stable on my s206 so far.
    Join us on irc at #ubuntuforums. For web chat see here

    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

    Do not read newspapers on an empty stomach ~ Russian Proverb ~ BrunoLotse

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    ExodusHair<Čubura
    Beans
    3,836
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Kernel Question

    Quote Originally Posted by matt_symes View Post
    If you are interested in the newest kernels...

    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
    Code:
    matthew-S206:/home/matthew % uname -r
    3.9.0-030900rc3-generic
    matthew-S206:/home/matthew %
    rc stands for release candidate, in this case release candidate 3.

    It's been stable on my s206 so far.
    Or to be in accordance with Daily:
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/daily/

    Code:
    :~$ uname -aLinux zika 3.9.0-999-generic #201303240405 SMP Sun Mar 24 08:05:57 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    I know this post is childish but I could not help it... I hope I will be pardoned... I do use daily for years now...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •