Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unable to Login with GUI. Coloured lines\bars

Beans

Unable to Login with GUI. Coloured lines\bars

Hi,
    I am new to Linux i successfully installed lubuntu 12.10 alternate version "lubuntu-12.10-alternate-i386". I checked the iso file using "winmid5Sum" and it was proper. I burned it and checked error for disk, even that was proper. After installation , from grub i went to ubuntu, then i got this weird screen full of colored bars. It didn't make any sense. I tried ctrl+alt+f1 and logged onto it, then ctrl+alt+f7. still the same screen.

i am using

System Model: HV84510A
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.60GHz
    Memory: 512MB RAM
    Hard Disk: 160 GB
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: S3 Graphics Inc. Savage4
    Manufacturer: S3 Graphics Inc.
    Chip type: S3 Savage4
    DAC type: S3 SDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_5333&DEV_8A22&SUBSYS_8A225333&REV_03
    Display Memory: 32.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1152 x 864 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
    Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
    Driver Name: s3sav4.dll
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pradyot; April 14th, 2013 at 07:53 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Unable to Login with GUI. Coloured lines\bars

Hi

Welcome to the forums

My first question: Is this a Wubi installation (inside Windows) or did you install it into its own partition ?

Can you boot into "safe mode" (to use a Windows expression) from the grub menu ? (This will help to identify if it's a driver problem or something more serious as safe mode uses the Vesa driver).

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Driver issue !
    johnnyg713
    Ultimate Edition,We are World Wide and Growing !
    http://ultimateedition.info/
    http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/for...hp?f=36&t=2387

Beans

Thank you for the fast reply!

No, this is not wubi installed. I created a free space of 12GB then at the partition part i assigned 1gb for swap and 11Gb ext4 for LUBUNTU.
    I referred " http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi-VPj4jzrg " for installation . Everything went as per video. but when restarting I am getting login part with colours (Check out the pics I uploaded). I can open terminal via "ctrl+alt+1"

Yes, I can open Windows XP through grub.

JOHNNYG713

any idea how to solve it?
    Last edited by pradyot; March 24th, 2013 at 03:25 PM.

Beans

My computer is kinda ancient (You check my system info above). I just want a linux os on my system. I am doin CS engg and my college s teaching UNIX. I heard LUBUNTU is very light weight so i used it. Is there any other light distros???

Beans

You've definitely got a driver issue there. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if the S3 is even supported by Linux any more. If not, then you may not be able to get Linux working on that machine at all without replacing the graphics card.

Beans

Do you know any other linux which would work on my machine ??

Beans
    Distro

Hi

Did you try booting into safe graphics mode from the grub menu ?

The card should work with VESA as that has been around for an age and that should get you up and running.

You can also edit the kernel command line to boot using the VESA driver.

At the grub prompt when you select a kernel, press the e key.

Navigate to the end if the text line and add this

Code:
    video=uvesafb
    Press ctrl + c to continue booting.

Does that help ?

Kind regards

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you use a "video=x" (where x= an xorg driver or mapped port settting) kernel parameter set like matt_symes suggested, you first need to add a "nomodeset" parameter before it before that parameter will work. KMS has to be disabled before you can use a "video=x" set. That didn't use to be like that // but changed to that at about Ubuntu 11.04-11.10... and comparable other linux distro's around that same time. (When KMS was implemented.)

Fortunately, xorg does have a savage driver... so you could use parameters:
    Code:
    nomodeset video=savage
    Just by you using "nomodeset", would turn off kms and give xorg the ability to try different drivers with your card... but setting it to savage would point it right there.

If that works, set "nomodeset" as persistent in the /etc/default/grub and create a default /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and point the driver to savage in the device section... That way you can tweak the resolutions and other settings for that driver (suggested). Once you get the xorg.conf working, then you can try taking out the nomodeset in grub to see if it is then still needed. You need it if you're telling it from grub to set a driver from grub, but not if it is set to a driver from the xorg.conf file.

You could leave it as "nomodeset video=savage" as persistent in grub without using or adding an xorg.conf file, but then you don't have as much control and aren't using that driver to it's full capabilities (just the basic functions).

If you need reference or instructions for any of that, look in the first three posts of my Graphics Resolution Sticky- link in my sig line.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; March 24th, 2013 at 05:51 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro

Hi

if you use a "video=x" kernel parameter set like matt_symes suggested, you first need to add a "nomodeset" parameter before it before that parameter will work.
    Thanks for that MAFoElffen. I knew i had forgotten something, i just could not think what.

Kind regards

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast