Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strengthening WEP security?

Hybrid View

Beans

Strengthening WEP security?

If I need to set up my computer in an adhoc network using WEP, it will be very vulnerable to the aircrack suite. However I read from the man page of airuncloak-ng that some WIPS can help prevent simple attacks against the protocol:

DESCRIPTION airuncloak-ng is a tool that removes wep cloaking from a pcap file. Some WIPS (actually one) can actively "prevent" cracking a WEP key by inserting chaff (fake wep frames) in the air to fool aircrack-ng. In some rare cases, cloaking fails and the key can be
    recovered without removing this chaff. In the cases where the key cannot be recovered, use this tool to filter out chaff.

The program works by reading the input file and selecting packets from a specific network. Each selected packet is put into a list and classified (default status is "unknown"). Filters are then applied (in the order specified by the user) on this list.
    They will change the status of the packets (unknown, uncloaked, potentially cloaked or cloaked). The order of the filters is really important since each filter will base its analysis amongst other things on the status of the packets and different orders
    will give different results.

Important requirement: The pcap file needs to have all packets (including beacons and all other "useless" packets) for the analysis (and if possible, prism/radiotap headers).
    Is there a way I can set up my computer to send out these fake WEP frames, so that only airuncloak-ng could crack into it?

Beans

Re: Strengthening WEP security?

Why not just use WPA2?
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Is there a specific reason why you can't use WPA2? WEP is not considered very secure by today's standards...there are plenty of programs out there for cracking WEP...

edit: I just read from an unconfirmed source about the FBI showing that WEP could be cracked in less than 3 minutes using freely available tools....and this happened as far back as 2005!
    Last edited by na5h; March 24th, 2013 at 12:40 PM.

Beans

I want WEP for two reasons. One is that the internet is down for me, so I'm forced to use a 3G mobile broadband through USB, and I want to set up my computer as an adhoc network so other computers in my house can connect to it, and adhoc seems to only support WEP. The second reason is similar, but using adhoc even when I get my home internet back up so that I can use my Nintendo DS (which only supports WEP encryption).

I'm not going to be sending any sensitive information or anything, and even if I was, I'm using a VPN. And as for my Nintendo DS, what sensitive information could be intercepted from IT?

The only reason I want slightly more secure WEP is so no one leeches off the very limited bandwidth the 3G mobile USB provides (and MAC address filtering does not provide that much protection).

Quote Originally Posted by na5h View Post
    edit: I just read from an unconfirmed source about the FBI showing that WEP could be cracked in less than 3 minutes using freely available tools....and this happened as far back as 2005!
    Yeah I know. I cracked my own WEP before in just 90 seconds (I think it was exactly 91 iirc). I was using airodump-ng (capturing IVs), aireplay-ng (causing the router to release more IVs), and aircrack-ng (brute force weak IVs) on a laptop. Hell, even most smart phones today can crack into WEP!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Can you disable the SSID broadcast?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by na5h View Post
    Can you disable the SSID broadcast?
    That protection is too weak. I want to be able to have a little resistance from aircrack and related programs.

Beans

Can you limit connections to the router by MAC address? Though it's not foolproof, it would certainly help protect against random intruders.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Beans

Your router should enable you to specify permitted MACs. An easy solution is to connect all your devices then look at the list of MACs in the router's software. Some routers let you create a permission list; otherwise you would just copy the addresses into the form for permitted addresses.

MACs can be spoofed, but from the little I've read it's harder than exploiting WEP. I imagine you'd need to be monitoring the radio when the device requests an address via DHCP. Using static addresses on the client devices might avoid the need to broadcast the MACs entirely. I suspect it would be pretty hard to exploit this method in that situation, but you should do some research and not trust my rather uninformed speculation.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Your router should enable you to specify permitted MACs. An easy solution is to connect all your devices then look at the list of MACs in the router's software. Some routers let you create a permission list; otherwise you would just copy the addresses into the form for permitted addresses.

MACs can be spoofed, but from the little I've read it's harder than exploiting WEP. I imagine you'd need to be monitoring the radio when the device requests an address via DHCP. Using static addresses on the client devices might avoid the need to broadcast the MACs entirely. I suspect it would be pretty hard to exploit this method in that situation, but you should do some research and not trust my rather uninformed speculation.

Spoofing a MAC and cracking WEP are equally as "easy" and both take about 30 seconds.

To the OP for radio security where you have to use WEP, there isnt alot you "can" do other than whats been said.

Use MAC address filtering (though it is easy to overcome)
    Use a strong key and change it often (rotation)
    Dont use DHCP and use statics where possible
    Use a custom subnet to limit the amount of available IP so only the machines you have and want can connect.

These are all trivial to overcome, but that being said how likely is it that someone is close to you who will steal your WIFI or if they were going to would actually bother that much to get past the above.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    Spoofing a MAC and cracking WEP are equally as "easy" and both take about 30 seconds.

To the OP for radio security where you have to use WEP, there isnt alot you "can" do other than whats been said.

Use MAC address filtering (though it is easy to overcome)
    Use a strong key and change it often (rotation)
    Dont use DHCP and use statics where possible
    Use a custom subnet to limit the amount of available IP so only the machines you have and want can connect.

These are all trivial to overcome, but that being said how likely is it that someone is close to you who will steal your WIFI or if they were going to would actually bother that much to get past the above.
    How much protection does sending out fake WEP frames provide then? From the manpage of airuncloak-ng only it can defeat fake WEP frames, which would mean very good protection from any skiddy type "point and click" WEP cracker like fern-wifi-cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post

I'm not using a router. I'm using my computer connected to 3G for adhoc Wi-Fi.
    Last edited by Stonecold1995; March 26th, 2013 at 01:00 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast