Thread: libreoffice Unity and Gnome panel

Beans

libreoffice Unity and Gnome panel

Hi,
    I'm quite new to Ubuntu 12.04lts and am just finding my way around. I installed Libreoffice 4 but didn't want all the separate icons in the unity launcher. While messing about with Gnome panel I found I could have an Office icon on the panel which when I clicked on it it popped out a list with the dictionary and all the libreoffice components for me to pick which to launch. Having decided that on my old laptop I didn't need the 50mb overhead of running Gnome panel I tried to drag this Office icon over to the unity launcher. Couldn't do it. When I click on it to drag it just opens the pop out and won't drag I can't remember how I got it to appear in the Gnome panel to try that with the launcher.

Anyone know how I can do this...I've tried dragging the Libreoffice 4 icon to the launcher but when I click it it acutally opens the Libreoffice program displaying all the components - nowhere near as slick as the earlier process.

Thanks,

Duke

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: libreoffice Unity and Gnome panel

Just open the Libreoffice program, you should now have an icon in the launcher. Right click the icon and click on lock to launcher.

Beans

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. I understand what you mean and I've settled on that solution in the meantime. However, what I had briefly working was an icon for Office which when clicked had a fly out with the libreoffice components. This was extremely quick and let me just launch the component I was after. The solution you describe has libreoffice open and then display the various components for selection. It's a lot slower than the first example. I can find the icon for the quick solution in 'main menu' but I can't seem to drag it to the launcher although I did have it on the gnome panel before I removed that as stated above.

Cheers,

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you have the icon for the "main menu" when you open it does the icon move to the launcher? If so, can you just lock it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

The Unity launcher doesn't have an option for stacks of icons that fly out. I know Cairo-Dock/GLX-Dock does a nice job of this. If you install the version in the repos for 12.04, it will add a couple different Desktop Environments you can choose from when logging in. (Be warned, these DE's might not be very stable depending on your graphics setup. Your Unity DE should still work normally, though.)
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!