Thread: ATI Radeon HD 3400

Beans

ATI Radeon HD 3400

Have i just started using ubuntu so sorry if my question seems stupid.
    I installed ubuntu 12.10 and everything works fine on my laptop except the loud noise and heat problem.
    Now i asked around and everyone suggested that one of my drivers is not properly set so i checked and found out that under graphics I have Driver = Unknown.
    Now i tried to look around for a driver to radeon hd 3400 and found one in AMD website downloaded installed then rebooted.
    My screen went really large and i couldn't see the icons bar to the left.
    after a 5 hours trying to fix it i purged (Delete?) the driver and ubuntu started working but still driver unknown.
    Any idea what i have to do to fix this please?
    Someone already told me that 12.04 and on don't support for radeon hd 3400 but is there a solution to the overheat and noise problem?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: ATI Radeon HD 3400

Moved to Mulitmedia & Video

Hello and welcome!

The problem is not that Ubuntu does not support your card, but rather that the ATI driver for that card will not work with Ubuntu versions after 12.04.2.

The HD 2xxx to HD 4xxx cards have been put in a "legacy branch" by AMD. The legacy driver will not work with X Server 1.13 and beyond. 12.10 uses X Server 1.13.

You can still use the card, of course, but you will have to do so with the default open source Radeon driver, which was installed when you installed Ubuntu -- and is used again when you remove the ATI driver.

If heat and battery life are a problem, you can use jupiter.

This gives a pretty good run down on installing it.

Best wishes!
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

it is possible to install the legacy driver, theres a ppa that you have to add to your system that will downgrade the x server to 1.12.2 (newest version that suppers the legacy drivers) and then then you can install fglrx-legacy.

search for fglrx-legacy ubuntu 12.10 and you should find instructions

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I recommend strongly against that, actually. It leaves you with a patched kernel, a downgraded X Server and a dead-end driver.

The future consequences of moving forward with such a system cannot be predicted.

The open source Radeon driver will provide more than adequate performance for the vast majority of users.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.