Thread: Printers

Beans

Printers

Currently have an old Lexmark printer/scanner which basically won't work under Linux ubuntu, though it still works under Win XP sp3. If I was looking at new printers, are there many manufacturers who support/supply Linux drivers with their printers. I've even been on to the Lexmark website to find a Linux driver for mine, and they don't even acknowlege the existance of my printer - probably because it's old... Any recommendations ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Printers

As far as I am concerned, HP offers the best printer support for Linux of the bunch. A very recent model might be a gamble (especially for scanning if you get an all in one), but a slightly older model will do just fine in most cases.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

+1 for HP.

I recently picked up a new DeskJet 2510 all-in-one for £25, plugged it in and everything worked out of the box. All of the required drivers were already built in to Ubuntu.

For a run down on which specific printers are supported, check out the HP Linux website...
    http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web...ces/index.html

For other manufacturers either check their websites, or there is a database at openprinting.org that lists the printers supported by cups.
    http://www.openprinting.org/printers
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

+2 for HP

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have always had good results with Brother printers/ all-in-one's and Ubuntu.

Beans

Linux printers database <- this might help

HP and Brother do have the best Linux support but not all of them work flawlessly.
    Ubuntu user since 5.10 "Breezy Badger"
    Please share your experience with your Linux Printer!