Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Root denied access to network shares?!

Rebelli0us is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Root denied access to network shares?!

I want to copy a file from the File System to a mounted network share. So I start Nautilus as root, but root cannot access "network:///". So I navigate to "/home/<USER>/.gvfs" and I'm denied access!

Screenshot-Untitled Window.png

Why is this happening?

Beans

Re: Root denied access to network shares?!

Also I went into "Samba Server Configuration" on the target machine and added root to the list of users allowed to access the shared folder. But root is still denied access! Why is it so hard to drag a file from my computer to another machine on my network?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelli0us View Post
    I want to copy a file from the File System to a mounted network share. So I start Nautilus as root, but root cannot access "network:///". So I navigate to "/home/<USER>/.gvfs" and I'm denied access!

Screenshot-Untitled Window.png

Why is this happening?
    That sounds like you are trying to write to a file in another machine by altering its mounted version locally.

It won' t work because the file's mounted permissions are set by the remote machine on which the original file exists, not the machine on which you are viewing it and attempting to change it; even using root locally won't help, as the file is on another physical machine.

Write permissions and user access need to be set on the remote machine itself for you to change the file in the manner you are currently using. Cheers.

Edit: root accounts in Ubuntu are locked by default, I don't think allowing "root" on the target is going to help you much. User level access and file / folder ownership/permissions on the target machine are more likely to be your problem.

Beans

Thank you. I would gladly (re)mount the network shares by logging into the remote machine as root. But root cannot even see the network in Nautilus. So how can root mount network shares?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You shouldn't need to run as root to merely copy files from the system folders to your user folder. Only if you move or change them.
    At least that's the case I've always encountered.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

gvfs mounts are user mounts - by default they are not even readable by root

try just using regular nautilus (not sudo)

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    gvfs mounts are user mounts - by default they are not even readable by root

try just using regular nautilus (not sudo)
    This OP, if access for your user to the remote machine is OK and permissions to read and write are set in the remote machine for your user, then accessing the share through a user nautilus window should work fine.

If you can't set the access and permissions on the remote machine, then even using root on the local machine will not help you.
    Last edited by coldcritter64; March 23rd, 2013 at 07:13 PM.

Beans

Thank you. Yes I can access the network shares as a regular user, but I can't copy from them into the file system. So I end up copying from them into my local home dir and then I open Nautilus as root to copy/edit them. It looks like the runaround. Isn't the chief administrator's job to prevent unauthorized access to networks? How can he do that when he can't even see what shares users are mounting?!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelli0us View Post
    Thank you. Yes I can access the network shares as a regular user, but I can't copy from them into the file system.
    As it should be. A mortal user has no permission to copy or create files outside of their home directory by default
    So I end up copying from them into my local home dir and then I open Nautilus as root to copy/edit them. It looks like the runaround.
    Of course it's a run around, remember only the root user has the rights to the entire local file system. This could include creating mounting shares in such a fashion that anyone can copy the data to anywhere. To do this you would have to edit the smb.conf file.
    Isn't the chief administrator's job to prevent unauthorized access to networks?
    Indeed it is.
    How can he do that when he can't even see what shares users are mounting?!
    I assume that you have created Samba usershares, not root administrated Samba Shares. These usershares are for users to share their data to other users, not to move their data to the system file structure.

On the other hand I could be completely misunderstanding what you are trying to do. How about an example of what you are attempting?
    -BAB1

Beans

I mounted a share on my network to fetch a script .sh file and copy it to /usr/local/sbin/ ...simple stuff.

All this security nonsense is out of control and it's killing the desktop in favor of mobile devices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast