Thread: Skype icon in ubuntu messaging menu

Beans

Skype icon in ubuntu messaging menu

Hi.

I would like to ask for your help. I ran into strange problem. I use Ubuntu 12.10 and can't get skype or skype-wrapper to work wint ubuntu messaging menu. I installed skype-wrapper, i allowed skype to use skype.py scripts, in dconf-editor i have "skype" show where it should be, but there is no skype icon in ubuntu messaging menu - there is only green skype logo in unity taskbar. I would like to place skype to a place where there is also thunderbird, but i just can't do it. Do you see envelope? I would like to insert it there.

Could you help me? On the web i read that after installing skype-wrapper we can remove sni-qt in order to remove green skype icon, but when i do it, i don't have skype icon at all - no in unity taskbar, no in unity messaging menu - envelope.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Skype icon in ubuntu messaging menu

Unfortunately for you, 12.10 saw the introduction of a new api for the messaging menu; and obviously, any application that wishes to show it's icon in that menu, needs to be ported to this new api.

skype-wrapper hasn't been ported yet, so there is not chance you will make it work in 12.10

Nevertheless, you can subscribe yourself, if you wish, to the bug report that keeps track of the progress of the porting to the new api.

Beans

Thank You. I didn't know that - i used ubuntu from 11.10 to 12.04 with update and it worked, but after i updated it to 12.10 this function is broken. I thought that i broke it down.

Beans

The icon is back...i thing that i was missing one of the indicator for Unity menu. Now i have skype near thunderbird in Ubuntu "envelope". I was missing:

Code:
    Indicator-applet is an applet to display information from
    various applications consistently in the GNOME panel.
    and

Code:
    Indicator-appmenu  This package provides support for application menus.
    also

Code:
    dicator-applet-complete is an applet to display information from
    Code:
    Indicator-applet-appmenu is an applet to display information from