Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia white/black window bug still persists.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: Nvidia white/black window bug still persists.

Quote Originally Posted by alphacrucis2 View Post
    I have nvidia card and using 313 updates driver. I've never seen the problem mentioned. Perhaps specific to certain cards.

Code:
    *-display               
           description: VGA compatible controller
           product: GF119 [Quadro NVS 4200M]
           vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
    Interesting, never have access to a quadro card but this happens in several Geforce cards I have tested.

However, at least in Raring, this bug only manifests itself when several instances of the same applications are in use. For example, suppose you have Firefox, one instance of calc and two instances of evince in use (two pdf), if you use the alt-tab switcher to focus on either Firefox or Calc there is no black window, it only happens if you chosse to focus one of the instances of evince. If there is only one pdf document (one instance of evince), then it doesn't happen.

Beans

I have the same problems (EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1GB FPB) driver 313.30

Beans

I found out that if you disable "animation" from ccsm then this bug does not manifest, but as a result maximize, minimize, open and close windows appear abrupt. Those who are affected please add a "affect me too" at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...z/+bug/1162954
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; April 6th, 2013 at 07:56 PM.

Beans

Bump!

Beans

My experience is slightly different. I cannot get rid of this glitch under any circumstances, apart from installing the 173 nvidia drivers, which introduces so many other problems that it is not worth it. This was a well known nvidia driver bug (nvidia black window memory problem) back in the day, which the 173 was known to fix. But it seems nvidia then introduced the problem back in with later drivers.

To recreate the problem, I can do the following (note I am on a dual head setup): keep opening windows. Lots of them, and big ones or busy ones. Eventually after say 20 windows, but may be more or less dependent on your resolution or your card, the whole screen will momentarily flash black. You have just hit memory limit. Now if you keep opening a few windows, and try swapping between them a bit, then some windows will end up with no content and be black (or white, depending on version etc.) windows. Note that each window change (e.g. opening a window) results in a brief screen flash. The screen flash is the indicator that you have a problem. The problem of the black screen manifests occasionally.

If you want you can find out when the exact memory limit is hit: once the screen flashes when you open a new window, reduce the size of some window a bit. You will find a window size where it will stop flashing if it is smaller and flash if it is bigger.

This occurs more in Unity than in gnome 3, but does occur in both. Turning the various compiz 3d settings consume more memory and so make the problem more likely. But turning them off doesn't remove the problem. Just means you have to open more windows to get it.

As I work on a 3200x1200 desktop with usually 30 or more windows open, I encounter this problem all the time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Does no one experiencing this problem any more or everyone has stopped buying Nvidia?
    I recently "stopped buying Nvidia", because I couldn't find a version (or a patch) that allows me to operate my legacy nVidia card under Linux 3.10

I installed xedgers Nouveau and for the life_of_me, I haven't noticed any adverse affects.

Nouveau does cause my GPU to run about 10C hotter than nVidia drivers, but it hasn't caused a problem.

When/if they patch nVidia 304.x for Linux 3.10, I'll try it again, but I'm in no hurry...
    Last edited by VinDSL; June 5th, 2013 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Typo Demon Strikes Again
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    I recently "stopped buying Nvidia", because I couldn't find a version (or a patch) that allows me to operate my legacy nVidia card under Linux 3.10

I installed xedgers Nouveau and for the life_of_me, I haven't noticed any adverse affects.

Nouveau does cause my GPU to run about 10C hotter than nVidia drivers, but it hasn't caused a problem.

When/if they patch nVidia 304.x for Linux 3.10, I'll try it again, but I'm in no hurry...
    I know, nouveau is actually very good these days. I am using it in 12.04 and updated with oibaf's ppa (kind of like xorg-edgers but driver only) It is very smooth and fast and get OpenGL 3. As long as you don't need GPU acceleration I find nouveau actually smoother than the Nvidia blob.

Use Nvidia 319.23 (xorg-edgers) with the Compiz experimental ppa in 13.04. Very fast and smooth and cpu usage is very low. Only issue is the this black window bug. For any one who may still care here is the situation with my 13.04 setup right now:

I) If all windows are non minimized, then no black window switching either with alt-tab or the shift switcher.

2) if some windows are minimized but there is only one isntance for such applications (e.g no two instances of evince for two pdf documents), then no black windows switching with alt-tab

3) if the minized windows (may have more than one instances of the same applications) restore to non maximized windows than no black windows using the alt-tab switcher.

4) Always get black windows with shift switcher if some applications are minimized (regardless of how many instances are in use)

5) Get black windows with alt-tab for applications with more than one instances in use and minimized AND only for those instances that restore to maximized windows.

6) One way to avoid ALL black windows would be to enable the scale addon in ccsm and use a hot corner to pick windows (i.e using Unity like Gnome Shell) There is no black window under any scenario.

Sorry this has nothing to do with saucy, but hopefully it will help for someone testing their Nvidia cards.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; June 6th, 2013 at 08:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Nvidia 319.23 is available with Additional Drivers in Saucy. Installed it yesterday.

If I open 4 terminal windows and minimize all, I get this behaviour when I click the application in the Launcher
    - At the 1:st click 1 terminal is shown opened on the screen
    - At the 2:nd click, all 4 is shown and I can click on the one I want to use
    When I close one window and click the application in the Launcher again I get a black window
    When I close that window the other 3 behaves OK.
    When I close 1 of the three and click the application in the Launcher I get a black window.
    When I change focus to another window, the black window goes OK.

Beans
    Hidden!

I am having this problem using an Asus GeForce GTX 670 Direct CU Mini graphics card.
    I just reinstalled Ubuntu 13.04 x64 with all of the updates, because I thought that would take care of this problem.

As soon as I selected the nvidia-313-updates proprietary driver and rebooted, the problem reappeared.

The Nvidia proprietary driver gives me 4 deg. lower temps but has this EXTREEMLY annoying bug.
    I'll switch back to the nouveau driver, for now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Nvidia-319.32, is the latest driver in the repositories, have you tried that? Mind you, I'm using a 2 -3 year old GeForce 210 here, and everything works as it should.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast