Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie can't get DVD-RW drive working

Beans

Newbie can't get DVD-RW drive working

OK. I feel so lost in Linux, but I'm determined to learn. Fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 and I can't use my DVD-RW, either to read or write. Should this be simpler? It probably is, but I'm not seeing it. Any help would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Newbie can't get DVD-RW drive working

Does it physically open and close?
    If Yes, When you put in a music CD, what happens?
    Define - Not working?!
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi, tizzidale. I felt lost in ubuntu at first too cause all i knew was windows. you'll be glad you stick with it cause its much better than windows once you get familiar.

Can you provide some more info? It could be that you are missing a driver.

When you put a cd/dvd into the tray, does an entry appear in Nautilus under the "Devices" heading?

What computer are you using? Desktop? Laptop w/ built-in? Laptop w/ external optical drive?

Beans

The drive works normally outside of Ubuntu. It opens and closes, and it's what I loaded Linux using. When I insert a disk, nothing appears in the file browser (I'm assuming this is Nautilus?) I'm using a Lenovo 3000 N200 laptop. The drive is a DVD-RW.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I take it you didn't install using that drive then?
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans

Yes, I did install using the drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by tizzidale View Post
    Yes, I did install using the drive.
    That seems odd then?

Are you sure you are not missing something? I'm not in a position to just test this myself ATM, people are asleep close to me (I seldom use the optical drive myself) - But I will check this later.

So the drive does open and close in Ubuntu but you don't see anything that suggests it's working (for Eg when you put a Video DVD in there)?

Beans

I'm absolutely sure I'm missing something. I just don't know enough to know what exactly. I know I used this drive to install Linux. I know that it works mechanically. I know that I can place a music CD, data CD, or DVD - doesn't matter- nothing occurs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If insert Eg the Ubuntu DVD - Nautilus opens auto and I see

Beans

Hi !

Im also new to linux/ubunto, and have problem with getting the DVD/CD drive, possibly I should make new thread ?

Anyways; I have booted from USB-stick. I have a tower/desktop PC (dell dimemsion 5000) that has no good OS on HDrive.

Now that I have successfully booted from USB/Ubunto, the "activities" does not give any clue about the DVD-drive

In the "help" there is a reference that "activities" should include some choice "disk drives" (or so, I dont have access to screen just now, since it is used for this current PC); however that choice is nonexistent !! , under that there would be some reference to volumes, but failing to find any such.

Thanks for any advice on how to assess status of DVD/CD. Is there a possibility that the Motherboard is faulty for the buss connecting the drive ? or something

BR georg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast