It takes a bit more work than that to install and configure hd aps on a thinkpad.
Originally Posted by Lucefudu
You have already installed hdapsd so no need to install that.
From the terminal, copy and past these command into it.
1. Install tp-smapi-dkms to allow hdaspd to see the accelerometer via sysfs.
2. Ensure the modules are loaded at startup next time you reboot.
sudo apt-get install tp-smapi-dkms
The -a switch after tee is very important in the line above as it appends to /etc/modules are not overwrites the file.
echo -e "tp_smapi" | sudo tee -a /etc/modules
3. Load the tp_smapi module now.
4. Ensure the hdapsd daemon is running (It should run at start up).
sudo modprobe tp_smapi
5. Test hd aps. Reboot and test again.
sudo /etc/init.d/hdapsd start
Various configuration values can be set via editing the config file
That should be all you need to get dh aps running.