Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 13.04 and "Rolling Development"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Ubuntu 13.04 and "Rolling Development"

"Rolling Development" (supposed to begin with 13.04) but not actually called "Rolling" even though it essentially will be... is apparently what they voted to do...they will make it so that it will point to each next development release without needing to actually upgrade to it...From what i read, it sounds like it would be accomplished using a "symlink" though the details on the best way to do it, they still have to work out...don't know if we will have to set it up manually in the terminal, an option to select in the software updater or automatically (though i'd imagine it wouldn't be by default....since some may want to just have their install continue as a normal release when it goes final...

If anyone hears any updates on how and when they think they will be doing that, please post in this thread if they see or find out something...does anyone have any ubuntu developer "contacts" they might get any advanced information from? comments also welcome as well
    Last edited by craig10x; March 23rd, 2013 at 02:28 AM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 13.04 and "Rolling Development"

Well, this is a good start. I've been using Ubuntu since Breezy and it's been a royal pain in the butt sitting through massive updates every 6 months on multiple machine. It used to be nice, but the novelty has worn off.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mr john View Post
    Well, this is a good start. I've been using Ubuntu since Breezy and it's been a royal pain in the butt sitting through massive updates every 6 months on multiple machine. It used to be nice, but the novelty has worn off.
    I hear you and could not agree more
    I am getting so tired of re-installing every 6 months to get the latest ubuntu...

This is the first time i ever installed the development version and have been very surprised by the excellent reliability of the updates (aside from a small breakage in the VLC media player sound which they got fixed in about 2 days or so)...In fact, for a while, i use to run Linux Mint's LMDE which is pointed to debian testing and had FAR more problems with that...in fact, had to re-install it twice and then finally gave it up...Ubuntu development for me has been FAR more reliable...

Of course, keep in mind this change only affects development (not the normal 6 month releases)...so you would have to run development to get that "rolling like" feature...
    It should be far more reliable then trying to "upgrade" each development version, and overall should work out better then running the 6 month standard version and attempting those 6 month upgrades which can, as you know, be very "hit and miss" in nature...

The way it would work is that when the development starts on the next ubuntu version, your updates in development would simply switch over ("point to"... as it were) to that (providing the "symlink" or whatever they decide to use for this is activated of course)...
    Last edited by craig10x; March 23rd, 2013 at 02:24 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    ...does anyone have any ubuntu developer "contacts" they might get any advanced information from? ...
    I'd subscribe to the mailing lists

https://lists.ubuntu.com/#Development+Lists

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

All distributions are potentially 'rolling' to some extent because updates (mostly security related) are frequently offered (but you don't have to accept them). Even Windows is rolling in this sense.
    Many distributions have an aiming point for a multi-package bundle of development, the 'next release', and this serves as a start point for new users. It is also a major update for existing users, which can be done either by re-installing or by using the usual update mechanism on a large scale.
    Some, like ArchLinux, have more package-focused, smaller, development bundles, and also release 'snapshots', to allow for efficient start points.

Having used both, on and off, for quite a while, on both VM and real hardware, I think I prefer the smaller-scale Arch approach; in practice it has been very stable for me, even through the systemd shake-up.
    Windows is cheap, but linux is free

Beans
    Distro

I think it could work out real well with the new system for the development...i just hope they get it worked out and implemented before April 25th when 13.04 will be going final...they did mention it is suppose to start with 13.04 (both the new 9 months of updates for the incremental versions and the new "always pointing to the latest development" for development version) and i wonder how it will be done and how we will be notified about it...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mr john View Post
    To be honest for users thinking like that "rolling model" does not bring much benefits. There will still be massive updates but not as "one time upgrade model" every 6 months but represented in more constant but we could say still massive flow of updates on multiple machines... compared to something like LTS release model with 5 years support. I doubt "rolling model" will improve your situation on how to stay "current" or better "up-to-date" on multiple machines.

Beans
    Distro

Of course, he won't have "massive updates" if he lets it update every day...now if he waits a few weeks between updating, well that would be a different story
    With 13.04 development, i do my updates every morning when i boot up the computer..just takes a few minutes...

Beans

I think i am skilful enough to "survive" rolling release model or at least try to but i doubt this is something average user/OEM wants. And to be honest i don't see what is the point of rolling if we have interim releases. Interim release will still be the product/key and this new rolling release will benefit exactly who?

Probably i don't have all the information right now and i will wait and see but until there are interim releases what is the point in having developers and testers on rolling release? It doesn't make any sense to me to be honest and i don't believe rolling model is something that needs to happen today knowing all the facts. It might make sense when some things change but currently i don't see the point and benefit in doing it! I might be wrong but as i said i will wait and see!

Beans
    Distro

I think interim releases would be fine if the upgrades were "bullet proof"...If you could be assured that it would all go perfectly, then i think it would be fine...but unfortunately that is not the case right now...
    With the development release, always pointed to each new version, you would not need to upgrade to continue as you do now...so aside from the testers, i think there will probably be quite a few that will want to use it...

As i previously mentioned, i had far more problems running mint's LMDE pointed to debian testing, then i have on this 13.04 development release...my "impression" is that quality control is way better here then it is in debian testing...

I also recall getting FAR MORE updates each day on debian testing, then i generally get here...with far greater chance of breakages on there...and LMDE is not a testers distro...
    Last edited by craig10x; March 24th, 2013 at 01:51 AM.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast