Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 13.04 and "Rolling Development"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 13.04 and "Rolling Development"

I honestly don't think we'll see the change to a rolling type release until 14.04, there have to be many things put into place before that can happen, and I can see Canonical wanting to push Mir and Unity Next out the door before making the needed changes.

That being said, grahammechanical's method to start with is the only way to upgrade to the next version, when the toolchain is first uploaded. I haven't paid any attention to when an upgrade via upgrade-manager becomes available, but to me it normally doesn't happen for the first couple of months of the development cycle

Beans
    Distro

[TL;DR]Yawn...just give me SS archives and I will edit sources.list(business as usual...). I'm bored now. [/TL;DR]
    Last edited by serdotlinecho; April 12th, 2013 at 05:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I have just brought another hard disk and I have been pondering how to use it in testing. I have decided to follow the practice of one forum user of having not only a separate / and /home partitions (as now) but also a separate data partition. I know I will need to edit the fstab file to do this. So, this is the partitioning scheme of my new 500GB hard disk.

sdb1 = 20GB primary mount point / 13.04 installed
    sdb2 = Extended partition of the rest of the disk
    sdb5 = 20GB logical mount point /home for the 13.04
    sdb9 = 361GB logical to be Data partition

This 13.04 will be my standby OS and upgrade every six months until 14.04.

sdb 7 & 8 = 20GB each to be / & /home respectively of a new 13.04 install that I will put in after release day and convert to 13.10 (or whatever) when the tool chain is loaded by using the sed command. That will be my development branch and I will edit the fstab file so that it can access the data partition of sdb9

sdb6 = 2GB = swap

What I need to do now is transfer over to the new drive my data files and stuff and work out how I am going to use the old drive for testing.

I have never been able to safely test the Install alongside option. Now, I might be able to. I have a download of Windows 8 preview that I have never tried. I might install that and then test the Install Alongside option using the old drive for this.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I was just curious....is it safer to say, go from 13.04 final to 13.10 final (in October when it is available) instead of going 13.04 development to 13.10 development?

I am trying to figure out a way i can run 13.04 through 13.10 without having to re-install...my goal is to make it to 14.04, when i probably will go to a LTS to LTS cycle instead...
    I don't want to go back to 12.04 at this point, because i love 13.04 and also some major bugs i experienced in both 12.04 and 12.10 are no longer present in 13.04...

Which way is likely to go smoother?

Beans
    Distro

On condition that you have a stand by Ubuntu and your data is safe from a re-install, then the answer is Yes. Just keep changing the repository names. First at the start of May (13.10 dev), then at the start of November (14.04 dev). That should get you to 14.04. I am going to do the same with this 13.04 that I just installed in my new hard drive.

There will no doubt be a post in this section announcing when the tool chain has been put in the repositories. Keep watching.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I honestly don't think we'll see the change to a rolling type release until 14.04, there have to be many things put into place before that can happen, and I can see Canonical wanting to push Mir and Unity Next out the door before making the needed changes.

That being said, grahammechanical's method to start with is the only way to upgrade to the next version, when the toolchain is first uploaded. I haven't paid any attention to when an upgrade via upgrade-manager becomes available, but to me it normally doesn't happen for the first couple of months of the development cycle
    Is there any definitive word on this, in regards to rolling release or no rolling release during the 13.10 cycle?

*edit*

Looks like 13.10 is already set up .

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+milestone/ubuntu-13.10

So just keep an eye there.
    Last edited by ventrical; April 12th, 2013 at 07:19 PM.
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Very good...i am not dual booting...however, i will burn an iso of 13.04 final before i upgrade to 13.10 on development (as a back up install disc)...i keep my data (photos, videos, music, documents, etc) on a flash drive and use that when i do a fresh install, so that preserves my "stuff" (and also saves a lot of work too)...

And from ventrical's link since they are getting 13.10 up, we probably will see something soon...

Oh, i had asked earlier: is it best to use a live session iso of 13.10 do upgrade of my installed 13.04? (or just do it either by gui or terminal commands on the installed one)...if you do it with iso, does it preserve what you have on your current system? (this is assuming they don't have the new easy way to roll into the next version by 13.04's release)...
    Last edited by craig10x; April 12th, 2013 at 07:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro

after a couple of disasters with the partitioner " going rouge " I built a completely separate test box . I no longer allow a developement install ( any distro ) anywhere near my "work" system , not even to the extent of d/ling the iso to burn to a cd/dvd to run on the test box .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Very good...i am not dual booting...however, i will burn an iso of 13.04 final before i upgrade to 13.10 on development (as a back up install disc)...i keep my data (photos, videos, music, documents, etc) on a flash drive and use that when i do a fresh install, so that preserves my "stuff" (and also saves a lot of work too)...

And from ventrical's link since they are getting 13.10 up, we probably will see something soon...

Oh, i had asked earlier: is it best to use a live session iso of 13.10 do upgrade of my installed 13.04? (or just do it either by gui or terminal commands on the installed one)...if you do it with iso, does it preserve what you have on your current system? (this is assuming they don't have the new easy way to roll into the next version by 13.04's release)...
    There will not be an .iso for several weeks. Wait for the 'toolchain' or watch the forums for messages from Cariboo907 and check here ;
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2073477

for the latest.

Also..you can study this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...3#post11893873
    This is Rolling Release
    Warnings for New Beta Testers& Helpful Terminal Commands:
    Running Trusty /devel/@ 5.120GHz32bit/ Please put [ prefix] on New Threads!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I will watch out for any developments...Also, i am sure Cairiboo907 and Phillinux will post anything new also...

Oh, yeah, i was wondering....do you have to temporarily uncheck your ppas when you do an upgrade?
    I don't have a lot...only 2 actually...Google Chrome and also webupd8.org's ppa for updating Oracle Java (that one does say "Raring Ringtail" in the ppa...Chrome's does not of course)...

Also, you know the simplest way they could have development transition, is to just continue calling it (in development) the same name...true? (in the case of what we are running, that would be Ringing Ringtail...so...just in development...Raring Ringtail would be 13.04, 13.10, 14.04, etc...)....point releases would continue the new names of course...In fact, i think Mark Shuttleworth has suggested that...

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast