Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: boot-repair can't reinstall grub

Re: boot-repair can't reinstall grub

It looks like it got a bit further (I made sure I was using 3.197 boot-repair and boot-sav). Below is what the log now looks like before it hangs. In the mean time, I managed to get my cd/dvd to boot in legacy mode and switched my drive to MBR, but I ended-up with the "...Select proper Boot Device..." error message at boot. However, with legacy cd/dvd boot and MBR, I was able to boot from cd/dvd into my hard drive, so some progress. For the below logs, I switched back to UEFI mode and GPT disk (and reinstalled 12.10). Let me know if you have any other ideas!

[...]
    => [[ PY ]] => Installation finished. No error reported.
    => [[ PY ]] => grub-install --efi-directory=/boot/efi --target=x86_64-efi --uefi-secure-boot : BootCurrent: 0003
    => [[ PY ]] => Timeout: 2 seconds
    => [[ PY ]] => BootOrder: 0003,0002,0001
    => [[ PY ]] => Boot0001 Windows Boot Manager
    => [[ PY ]] => Boot0002* UEFI: ST31000524AS
    => [[ PY ]] => Boot0003* UEFI: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH82N
    => [[ PY ]] => BootCurrent: 0003
    => [[ PY ]] => BootOrder: 0000,0003,0002,0001
    => [[ PY ]] => Boot0000* ubuntu
    => [[ PY ]] => exit code of grub-install :0
    => [[ PY ]] => Files in /mnt/boot-sav/sda2/boot/efi: /EFI/ubuntu/grub.cfg /EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi /EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi /EFI/ubuntu /EFI
    => [[ PY ]] => Boot EFI files in /mnt/boot-sav/sda2/boot/efi:
    => [[ PY ]] => SET@_progressbar1.pulse()
    => [[ PY ]] => Files in /mnt/boot-sav/sda2/boot/efi: /EFI/ubuntu/grub.cfg /EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi /EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi /EFI/ubuntu /EFI
    => [[ PY ]] => cp /mnt/boot-sav/sda2/boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi /mnt/boot-sav/sda2/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi (& .grb)
    => [[ PY ]] => touch: cannot touch `/mnt/boot-sav/sda2/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi.grb': No such file or directory
    => [[ PY ]] => cp /mnt/boot-sav/sda2/boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi /mnt/boot-sav/sda2/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootx64.efi (& .grb)
    => [[ PY ]] => touch: cannot touch `/mnt/boot-sav/sda2/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootx64.efi.grb': No such file or directory
    => [[ PY ]] => cp /mnt/boot-sav/sda2/boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi /mnt/boot-sav/sda2/boot/efi/EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi (& .grb)
    => [[ PY ]] => touch: cannot touch `/mnt/boot-sav/sda2/boot/efi/EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi.grb': No such file or directory
    => [[ PY ]] => Add /mnt/boot-sav/sda2/boot/efi efi entries in /mnt/boot-sav/sda2/etc/grub.d/25_custom

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by pussinboots View Post
    This line shows you are using an old version of Boot-Repair.

To update Boot-Repair, boot your Linux-Secure disk, choose "Try Ubuntu", connect internet, open a terminal, and type the following command:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install boot-sav boot-repair

Here's what I got this time. It was all pulse's after the last line. I let it run for ~10 minutes before giving-up. When I rebooted, the installed Ubuntu booted normally, but when I tried to restart after that, I got the boot error. I've seen this pattern (1st reboot okay, 2nd reboot fails) many times---any idea why?

=> [[ PY ]] => grub-install --efi-directory=/boot/efi --target=x86_64-efi --uefi-secure-boot : BootCurrent: 0003
    => [[ PY ]] => SET@_progressbar1.pulse()
    => [[ PY ]] => Files in /mnt/boot-sav/sda2/boot/efi: /EFI /EFI/ubuntu /EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi /EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi /EFI/ubuntu/grub.cfg

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pussinboots View Post
    1st reboot okay, 2nd reboot fails) many times---any idea why?
    Unfortunately no.

I uploaded another update, that might give us additional clues on why it hangs. It is available now.
    Last edited by YannBuntu; March 24th, 2013 at 04:43 PM.

Latest output. It stalls at "(debug) endlsefi1 ubuntu/shimx64.efi ; ubuntu ." I checked that the version was ppa40 (sorry about earlier, I didn't realize the ppa version was the important one).

=> [[ PY ]] => Files in /mnt/boot-sav/sda2/boot/efi are: /EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi /EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi /EFI/ubuntu/grub.cfg /*/*/*/*
    => [[ PY ]] => (debug) endlsefi1 ubuntu/shimx64.efi ; ubuntu .

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thank you.
    Looks like it hangs in a loop, but I don't know why. (for coders willing to help, it is located in /usr/share/boot-sav/gui-action-grub.sh, lines 344~370)
    I uploaded a new version (ppa41) , with even more debugging items. Please try it in about 2hours.

I added some debug statements and found that it gets stuck in the 2nd time through that loop at "ls_efi_partition" when EFIDOFI=/mnt/boot-sav/sda2/EFI. In the first loop EFIDOFI=/mnt/boot-sav/sda2/boot/efi/EFI. I added a debug statement inside ls_efi_partition and it looks like it is iterating over all files on sda2 (i.e. the entire Ubuntu install). I'm happy to hack-in changes if you give me an idea of what to do. Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Wonderful !
    I will code a workaround ASAP, until I find a nicer solution.

EDIT: version 3.197~ppa43 will be available in ~2h
    Last edited by YannBuntu; March 24th, 2013 at 09:44 PM.

The good news: boot-repair completes successfully; when I rebooted, I got a nice grub2 menu; Ubuntu loaded as expected.

The bad news: when I rebooted a 2nd time, I got the all-too-familiar boot error message "...Select proper Boot Device..."

BUT! Then I tried boot-repair again and unchecked the "SecureBoot" option before proceeding. After it completed successfully, I rebooted twice and got the grub menu (woo hoo!). I rebooted a third time and got the grub menu again! :-} The only other thing I did differently besides unchecking "SecureBoot" was to do a hard powercycle (shut down instead of restart, then power button to turn on). If you'd like to understand what exactly made the difference for me, I'm happy to do more testing. FWIW, when running with SecureBoot unchecked, I had to copy-n-paste 4 apt-get commands to the terminal.

Thank you Yann!

This may not be important, but there was one thing I didn't understand. When boot-repair finished, it said "Please do not forget to make your BIOS boot on sda1/EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi file!" Is this something I should have set in my BIOS? I don't recall seeing anything in my BIOS that would have let me do this.

In case it's useful, here are the two urls from this message:

Default settings: http://paste.ubuntu.com/5645074
    Uncheck SecureBoot: http://paste.ubuntu.com/5645090/
    Last edited by pussinboots; March 25th, 2013 at 02:44 AM. Reason: add smiley

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

From UEFI, do you just see ubuntu (the folder) or do you see the files in the efi/ubuntu folder?

EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi
    /EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi

Your BootInfo shows this with two different BootOrders which is from your UEFI:

BootOrder: 0003,0002,0001
    Boot0001 Windows Boot Manager
    Boot0002* UEFI: ST31000524AS
    Boot0003* UEFI: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH82N
    BootCurrent: 0003
    Timeout: 2 seconds
    BootOrder: 0000,0003,0002,0001
    Boot0001 Windows Boot Manager
    Boot0002* UEFI: ST31000524AS
    Boot0003* UEFI: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH82N
    Boot0000* ubuntu
    Last edited by oldfred; March 25th, 2013 at 05:24 AM.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast