Thread: Intel Centrino Wireless 6150-N Not recognized

Beans

Intel Centrino Wireless 6150-N Not recognized

Long story short, I have a virtual machine on my ASUS.
    I currently run Windows 7 on my ASUS and on my virtual machine I have Ubuntu and Kali Linux and on one of my old ancient laptops I currently have Xubuntu freshly installed.

My old laptop does not recognize any wifi, so being curious I checked on my VM and noticed that Kali Linux and Ubuntu both believe they are 'wired' physically to the internet rather than through wifi.

On my ASUS I have an Intel Centrino Wireless 6150-N, I am just learning Ubuntu right now and wondering what do I need to do to get it to recognize my wireless card rather than think it is physically connected with a cable?

I plan to eventually install Ubuntu onto my laptop directly so I have the dual boot option when I become more familiar and comfortable with it.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Intel Centrino Wireless 6150-N Not recognized

Lets just check and see
    Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans

Following is the response when the code is entered into the terminal

~# lspci -nnk | grep -ia2 net
    Subsystem: VMware Device [15ad:1976]
    Kernel driver in use: uhci_hcd
    02:01.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] 79c970 [PCnet32 LANCE] [1022:2000] (rev 10)
    Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] PCnet - Fast 79C971 [1022:2000]
    Kernel driver in use: pcnet32
    02:02.0 Multimedia audio controller [0401]: Ensoniq ES1371 [AudioPCI-97] [1274:1371] (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Ensoniq Creative Sound Blaster AudioPCI64V, AudioPCI128 [1274:1371]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I hope I am not stepping on toes here, but my esteemed colleague carl4926 will point out that networking on a virtual machine is handled quite differently and PCI wireless is generally unavailable.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

So would it be safe to say that I should not experience these issues if I do a direct installation onto the computer for a dual boot option instead?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FiveNine View Post
    So would it be safe to say that I should not experience these issues if I do a direct installation onto the computer for a dual boot option instead?
    Correct

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    I hope I am not stepping on toes here, but my esteemed colleague carl4926 will point out that networking on a virtual machine is handled quite differently and PCI wireless is generally unavailable.
    LOL
    I missed the VM part. Skip reading...

@FiveNine
    You should be good
    It'll probably work from the live session
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans

I actually just did a live boot from my CD and I noticed that it was picking up my wireless card.

Now since I want to do a direct install I need to partition my C: drive... Shrink it first I suppose to make room. Shame I have to much stuff on this laptop to just simply save everything and wipe the slate clean and start fresh.