Thread: Audio Interface Set-up

Beans

Audio Interface Set-up

First off, I'm completely new to this so please have patience.

I wish to setup a home recording studio capable of recording vocals, guitars, piano and so on. What I would like to know is; What are some good ( i.e. best "bang for buck") audio interfaces that are compatible with what is running on my PC, and also what what kind of set-up would be most efficient? (i.e. mixer/soundcard or AI/soundcard etc. etc.)

Currently running/obtained:

• Ubuntu Studio 12.04
    • Ardour as a DAW
    • Condenser Mic (Phantom Power needed) (XLR)
    • Instruments (w/ leads etc.)

Thanks,
    Harmelodic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Re: Audio Interface Set-up

There are no best soundcards. It all depends what you need (how many inputs) and how much you want to spend.
    I use Edirol FA-66 capture device. It is supported, it has phantom power and enough inputs for my use.
    I don't think you need a mixer or you should know if you need it.

It is better if you list soundcards you think are for you, and we can comment on them. We don't know what cards are available for you to purchase.
    Also you need a pair of monitors, but again, it all depends what you do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

M-Audio Delta66 card with Omni breakout box. 24-bit, 96kHz recording, analog and digital, quiet preamps.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio Development Release

Check out this page for some nice info on devices http://wiki.linuxmusicians.com/doku....ardware_matrix

Beans

1st, You have to look if the card you have in focus, is supported by alsa, because the alsa drivers are the most used drivers for soundcards, including USB devices. And the alsa drivers are included in most of the distributions like e.g. Ubuntu Studio

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Main.

I am going to buy the "Native Instruments komplete Audio 6"(USB device). The Focusride scarlett i4 works also.
    good luck

Beans

As all the others answered: It depends on what you're planning to do with your system, especially how many independent channels you need and if these channels needs to be balanced (symmetric) or unbalanced (asymmetric).
    After figuring out what you need, look fore some audio interfaces that fit the needs. Then check them against the compatibility lists mentioned in the postings above.

I just started with an M-Audio 1010LT, which provides 8 analog inputs and is supported... but has all its inputs unbalanced. That's fine if you have a simple instrumental setup, but if you're messing around with monitors, amps, (stand-alone) mixers, effects and PC, you're running sooner or later into problems with severe ground loops, that provide a decent humming or other interferences (provided by switching power supplies, monitors, the PC itself and so on). So for our monday-"jamming" we needed a device with at least 8 analog and balanced inputs (which can be used simultaneously !!!), while 2 of them should provide phantom power for the mics.

So after looking for an adequate interface for use at our jamming attempts, we came across the Edirol FA101, which we were able to buy through eB@y for a reasonable price.

Now, last weekend, we just set up a little recording unit with ubuntu studio in combination with the Edirol (brand by Roland) firewire interface.
    It's just awesome, with 2 mics, 2 guitars (stereo) 1 bass (stereo) we can now record everything simultaneously (including hydrogen as drum machine) with ardour as single tracks, even with additional effects like chorus or echo, in best quality (102db S/N) without messing around with ground loops and other interferences.