Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't join Samba+Ldap Domain

Beans

Re: Can't join Samba+Ldap Domain

Quote Originally Posted by lingpanda View Post
    So you can connect to the domain on your virtual machine but not on physical devices? Can you ping the domain? ie. ping example.domain.com?
    Maybe i didnt explained well. My english is a bit rusty since im living in south america ...

If i want join the domain on my physical server, it asks me in my windows client for the login credentials to join it.
    So i put the Logindata of my ldap-samba admin and password inside and he say that the domain dont exists OR he cant contact the server.

So i tried 2 things:
    1. put any name inside -> other error that AD could not be found
    2. in windows explorer the ldap address like written one post above -> and he wants to search people in my AD

-> so the domain is available but my windows client can not join the domain

Now Ping:
    ping 192.168.10.104 --> fast ping tiempo <1m
    ping domain.com --> slow ping tiempo=260-460m //edit: that was stupid -i pinged the webaddress of the company i work for so of course i got a good ping with slow ms ...

So domain also pingable over dns name.

tried again to connect - same error!

Ive got now one question. Its the first time im doing LDAP + SAMBA.
    Samba standalone in smb.conf : workgroup=domainname
    samba + LDAP in smb.conf : workgroup=domainname.com ??? or just workgroup=domainname

Till now i just tried like usual on Samba workgroup=domainname
    Just now i tried with domainname.com but also wont work.

But could it be an issue about the domainname dc=domain,dc=com and the workgroup in samba?

In my tutorials i used they dont talk about that part sadly.

Thanks in advance for your help guys.

Quote Originally Posted by ally_uk View Post
    Ignore the windows comments I was being a idiot
    Its okay - you just read that im kind of new in Linux and thought that its a number too big for me.

But we need watch first. What is 'kind of new to Linux'?
    Linux is so big that if u can do some ftp lamp samba servers - you are not even good in linux. Just a beginner trying to learn about Linux right??

Regards,
    Bathroth

//edit
    Changed now in my smb.conf workgroup= domain.com
    As i tried it before i had all WITH CAPSLOCK and now ive written it normally like in my ldap configuration and it asks me also for my Logincredentials - Still dont want to join my domain

Last edited by Bathroth; March 25th, 2013 at 03:00 PM. Reason: because of fail!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Do you have the ldap related options in smb.conf? Not sure if something like this can help:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/server...amba-ldap.html

You have more documentation for 12.04 LTS here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/server...ntication.html
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    Do you have the ldap related options in smb.conf? Not sure if something like this can help:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/server...amba-ldap.html

You have more documentation for 12.04 LTS here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/server...ntication.html
    Thanks again,

But this 2 tutorials i used for installation and did all the same.

The only thing what i didnt had was:

ldap ssl = start tls
    I had no ssl! Ill check my other configurations about tls and ssl for be sure its not fault of this ...

//edit:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/12.10/server...ap-server.html
    On this tutorial in the section of TLS - this is neccesary for get it working?

I was thinking of doing without ssl/tls - but if its needed ill go for it to try ...
    Last edited by Bathroth; March 25th, 2013 at 03:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro

One thing I noticed in the tutorials is that it says you first have to create an entry for the XP machine in LDAP. Have you done that? It says you need to do that before you try joining it to the domain. The entry has to have the same computer name as the XP machine.

Also, is your XP VM networking option NAT or Bridged? If you are using NAT I'm not sure if that can interfere since the traffic gets NATed. Try in Bridge mode so that the XP VM has an IP in the same subnet where your LDAP server is. Most VMs use NAT by default but i always change it to Bridge to have the machine in my LAN.
    Darko.

Beans

Hey Darkod,

ill check that if i have the Machine in my LDAP.

And bout the VMs. I remade the server as VM and made an Windows maschine for checking. Both running as VM as IntNet - so internal LAN.

So there should not be a problem about that or no?

Regards

//edit:
    Now added the maschine account to samba+ldap over smbldap ... Or i have to install ldapscritps and make it only over ldap?

The point is that i want to have all automatically. Like a samba PDC - joining the domain, autimatically over root preexec creating the userfolders and automatically adding the maschine to the server. I dont want to do it manually.

any ideas? :S
    Last edited by Bathroth; March 26th, 2013 at 01:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I don't have detailed experience of this, but I think you are looking at it the wrong way. You want to use samba for controller but in reality the OpenLDAP is the controller. Samba can use the users in LDAP to authenticate who can do what, but it's the LDAP holding the users and the groups, etc.

About the VMs. I'm not sure what IntNet is, In Virtual Box it's called NAT mode vs Bridged mode for example. The IP of the virtual host has to be in the same subnet as the IPs of the virtual guests (the LDAP server and the client machine). Testing in virtual machines is very good but you have to be careful not to get yourself into trouble if you leave them as stand-alone NATed devices. When you look at the IP of any machine in your home, the server IP has to be in the same subnet.

I assume you set a static IP on the server. In that case you should know if the IP is in the same subnet as your home network.

This could be the issue because of which it's not working as you expect it all the way.
    Darko.

Beans

Thanks for the reply,

I guess you are right about the way i look at LDAP - just my boss wants that i use ldap for any reason noone knows. He doesnt know about linux. For our use a Samba would be enough. For that im trying to get the LDAP to run. Ill watch agian about the administrative user. But it seems that i created him without any problems.

About the Virual Maschines. In my virtualBox i got an option which is called 'Internal Network' (http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/v...k-sharing.html)
    So its a Lan inside of VirtualBox and the IPs are all in the same subnet (192.168.1.xxx 255.255.255.0)

Thanks so far for your help. Because im working as support and making servers i have not enough time for investigate all the time. So ill write again if i found something/changed anything. Getting on my nerves stopping my investigation all the time for doing support ... !

Regards,
    Bathroth

Beans
    Distro

I would still give a shot to the Bridged Adapter option in place of Internal Network. That will also allow you to try reaching the server from your physical machines, unless you don't want this. Maybe you want to prevent the server to be on your LAN but if no one knows about it I doubt people will find it and try to access it. And for you it can help with the dilemma whether you have something wrong with the server settings, or simply the network settings.
    I guess pinging between the VMs works just fine? Can you try a SSH session from the VM client to the VM server? That could show you if networking is fine because sometimes ping works but a specific service like ssh or ftp will not be routed correctly between them.

If you are only after a few different users to share samba, installing ldap is really not necessary. In that case yes, you could run and control everything with the samba users administration.

In case od ldap i see it similar to AD. It hold the configuration of all the domain, it runs the show, and any administration is done with the ldap scripts or maybe a GUI tool like LDAP Admin, etc. Samba can only use existing users instead of creating the same users two times. But samba doesn't run the domain and user administration. That's how i understand it.
    Darko.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    I would still give a shot to the Bridged Adapter option in place of Internal Network. That will also allow you to try reaching the server from your physical machines, unless you don't want this. Maybe you want to prevent the server to be on your LAN but if no one knows about it I doubt people will find it and try to access it. And for you it can help with the dilemma whether you have something wrong with the server settings, or simply the network settings.
    I guess pinging between the VMs works just fine? Can you try a SSH session from the VM client to the VM server? That could show you if networking is fine because sometimes ping works but a specific service like ssh or ftp will not be routed correctly between them.

If you are only after a few different users to share samba, installing ldap is really not necessary. In that case yes, you could run and control everything with the samba users administration.

In case od ldap i see it similar to AD. It hold the configuration of all the domain, it runs the show, and any administration is done with the ldap scripts or maybe a GUI tool like LDAP Admin, etc. Samba can only use existing users instead of creating the same users two times. But samba doesn't run the domain and user administration. That's how i understand it.
    It seems that you have good experience - could i ask you a other question?

The company im supporting day in and out has arround 30 - 40 diffrent users. Groups would be arround 5-10.

For this kind of company would it be an advantage to use LDAP?

The other company im making the Server at the moment are arround 15 diffrent users and 5 Groups maximum.

Really enough with Samba or am i wrong? Because a PDC in samba i made arround 8 times and is easy to use.

Would be nice if you could answer me that.

Regards

Beans
    Distro

I have no extensive experience with domains on linux, but for 15 users it really looks like there is no point of configuraing ldap. Even for 40 users it might be too much work.

However, we are looking only at the user count. What happens on the desktop clients? Making an analogy to AD, if you have no ldap (and ldap users), can employees change workstations? The local user with their username would have to exist so they could use the machine. If my analogy with AD is correct, you can install a workstation, join it to the domain, and any user that exists in ldap can log in, right? From that point of view, it does serve a purpose even for a small number of users.

Not to mention having their folder available in the network so they can access their data on any machine. But the home folder can be done in samba too.

I don't know the requirements of the companies, and also i don't know in depth the ldap benefits. But it does sound benefitial even for small number of users.
    Darko.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12