Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cairo-Dock is fantastic!

Beans

Cairo-Dock is fantastic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2isiqVEcaio

Just installed Ubuntu again after dodging the Linux scene for years, and I've got to say while Unity has improved by leaps and bounds since the last time I used it (Which was when it first launched... ugh) it's still not my cup of tea. But man, Ubuntu is still fantastic in its ease of use. Got Cairo-dock up and running in no time and I love it. Just makes the whole experience that much better for me, pesonally. Still have a lot of fiddling round to do, and I've hopped right back in the deep end by completely removing Windows (for now at least) - and hey, so far pretty good.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Cairo-Dock is fantastic!

It sure is
    Xubuntu is really nice
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I use Unity as my main desktop, but when I use a non-Unity derivative/distro I always install Cairo Dock. Works great in KDE, XFCE, and even LXDE/openbox. Even as a user that (usually) has no need for it, I find Cairo Dock and its continuous development and improvement a refreshing reminder of what makes F/OSS and the community around it great.
    "The Linux philosophy is laugh in the face of danger. Oops. Wrong one. Do it yourself. That's it." --Linus Torvalds

Beans

I haven't removed Unity, and it didn't seem bad by any stretch. Maybe I should give it a chance longer than five minutes. I've run into my first issue - alt-tab no longer works in a cairo-dock session! So far my work around is to just use cairo-dock to switch windows, I'm sure I'll find a fix sooner or later. Just need to motivate myself to read some documentation. Yep, Linux still feels like Linux - and I love it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Yes...if you spend some time with unity (say about a week or two) you might be surprised how quickly you get use to it and begin to like it quite a bit....
    That happened to many of us here, including myself

I have used Cairo Dock in the past, and it is quite excellent but i reached a point where i said "oh what the heck...just use the default unity" (lol) and have been ever since...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Ziski View Post
    I haven't removed Unity, and it didn't seem bad by any stretch. Maybe I should give it a chance longer than five minutes. I've run into my first issue - alt-tab no longer works in a cairo-dock session! So far my work around is to just use cairo-dock to switch windows, I'm sure I'll find a fix sooner or later. Just need to motivate myself to read some documentation. Yep, Linux still feels like Linux - and I love it!
    If you wanna try unity for longer then five minutes, then I'd suggest holding down the super/windows key and look over all the keyboard shortcuts.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    If you wanna try unity for longer then five minutes, then I'd suggest holding down the super/windows key and look over all the keyboard shortcuts.
    Hey, that's pretty neat! I tried to screenshot while holding down the super key but it wouldn't let me. I want to set that shortcut as my wallpaper for more immediate reference. Back in Unity session, I was going to install Gnome 3 (Just to try it out), but I'll give Unity a fair run first.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

gnome 3 / Unity

Not much in it IMO. Except I + unity for it's conservative use of desktop real estate
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yes Cairo-Dock is fantastic
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

For once in the 4 or so years i have been using Cairodock, window preview thumbnails finally work in the dock. Cairo-Dock is awesome.

It makes me wonder the issues Cairo-Dock will have once Display managers start making changes in compatibility
    Toshiba Satellite L875-s7230 / A6 2.7ghz dual-core piledriver w/ ATI Radeon HD 7520G / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM / 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT formatted JFS. >Wifi Drivers for this machine< My Deviant Screenshots

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast